Who's got the virus - me or him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrl72

Beta member
Not sure if this is a virus or not but something weird happened today. I have a POP server running on W2003. I emailed a friend from a valid account on my domain and asked them to send an email to a fictitious mailbox on my domain (which I just made up from random letters). Because the mailbox doesn't exist it went into a catch all account. About 30 minutes later I caught some SPAM in the same catchall account that was addressed to the same fictitious email I address that I asked my friend to email. Coincidence? I think not. So there must be a virus on either my server or my friend's PC that was able to get the email address and send a SPAM email back to me.

Does anyone have an idea what this could be and on which end it would reside?

Many thanks.

Run an anti-virus scan on both computers. Isolate that computer from the network so it may not infect other computers.

Is it possible to scan all the computers on your network? Isolate the computer in question, and take the server offline for a while for the scanning. Follow these directions on the isolated computer when you have taken that one off the network:

Please download Deckard's System Scanner (DSS) and save it to your Desktop.
  • Close all other windows before proceeding.
  • Double-click on dss.exe and follow the prompts.
  • When it has finished, dss will open two Notepads main.txt and extra.txt -- please copy (CTRL+A and then CTRL+C) and paste (CTRL+V) the contents of main.txt and extra.txt in your next reply.

Step2

After you finish that, run this online scan on the server and post the new contents here in an attachment:

Please do an online scan with Kaspersky WebScanner

Click on Accept

You will be promted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.
  • The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files:
  • Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT
  • Now click on Scan Settings
  • In the scan settings make that the following are selected:
    • Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
    • Extended (if available otherwise Standard)
    • Scan Options:
    • Scan Archives
      Scan Mail Bases
  • Click OK
  • Now under select a target to scan:
    • Select My Computer
  • This will program will start and scan your system.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
  • Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
    • Now click on the Save as Text button:
  • Save the file to your desktop.
  • Copy and paste that information in your next post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom