"White Screen", "FBI Warning" Malware!

croSSeduP

In Runtime
My work laptop has picked up this virus/malware. What it does is blocks your desktop and all programs with a white screen, and if you are connected to the internet it brings up a bogus FBI warning that says you have to pay a fine. Task Manager is unavailable. I cannot remove it because I cannot get to the BIOS without an admin password, nor can I boot in safe mode w/o this. I do not want to give it to the I.T. of my work place because they will probably just wipe the drive and re-install the programs of my work place. I hate to have that happen because I have installed on this computer several programs I need for my work, and if the drive gets wiped I'll have to spend hours hunting down these programs again and re-installing them. Is there some way around the "admin rights" stuff so that I can run Kaspersky's WindowsUnlocker and be done with it?

Really, you should just take it to your IT department to let them deal with it so you don't make it worse.

I work in a corporate IT environment right now, and much prefer a user come to us before they tried to fix it on their own..

Yes, you'll most likely get the drive wiped, however you can tell them to back up your data for you, and possibly even reinstall those programs that you need; especially if its for work, they should have the licenses and/or installers for the software.

I have removed this virus serveral times. If you don't know what your doing then take it to your IT department like carnageX says.

Can you boot from a USB? - this will depend on what BIOS boot order setting you already have, if you can't change it due to the password protection. If you are able to boot from a USB, boot up from a Linux Live operating system USB and either backup all your files onto the USB before taking it to your IT department; or if you can, remove the virus in the Linux environment.

Back
Top Bottom