What's the best spyware, antivirus, and firewall software I can get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The MVPlaya

Solid State Member
What's the best software I can get with all these features?

I was looking at the ZONE LAB products and they seem to interest me.

What do you guys suggest?

I also ran into bullguard...

Originality is so underestimated............

* Spybot
* Lavasoft

* AntiVir

* Zonealarm

* Hi-Jack This

that is about all you need!

To be honest with you, i don't think there is a security suite on the market today that could claim to have the best of everything like your question asks.Zonealarm's strength was their firewall but they bundled in a poor antivirus.What i would recommend is Kaspersky or F-secure antivirus, currently with the top detection rates.Then add Kerio personal firewall.It will watch over everything happening on your computer.Then mix in 2 spyware programs to keep an eye on each other.It is easier to just buy the suite, but this way, your sticking with their strengths.

Like Stated above no Security Suite is better then companys focused on one item. Therefore here is a list you can pick from.

Firewall
Outpost Pro (Paid)
Zonealarm (Free)

AntiVirus
Kaspersky or NOD 32 (Paid)
Avast (Free)

Malware
(If you buy Outpost Pro the Spyware plug in works just fine no need for other programs that hog resources)
Spyware Blaster (A must have) (Free)
Ad-Aware (Only needed if you dont get Outpost)
Spybot Search & Destroy (Only needed if you dont get Outpost)

I use F-secure and I wouldn't go back to Norton, Avast, AVG or any of them. I've had it for about 6months and haven't had 1 virus (yet.LOL) and in the same time with Norton I had about 10. So for me F-secure is one of the best if not THE best out there.

I agree with NvidiaDude that Norton will literally slow a computer to a crawl. McAfee will do the same thing. I use AvgFree on my Windows computer. NOD32 is also very good, I think it runs around $15 - $20 now. Only use ONE AV.

Spyware.......Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster will do it. The key is, make sure you use it, meaning, run a scan at least once a week. And always check for updates.

Firewall.......I would recommend ZoneAlarm although it can be a pain to set up the first time you use it. Couple of notes, do NOT buy the entire ZoneAlarm Suite, it will slow your computer down eventually. Also, I have not tried it yet, but I also understand that Sunbelt's Kerio Personal Firewall is actually better than ZoneAlarm. It is not free though, I think it is running about $14.95. Anybody ever use it?

Let me know if you need links to any of these product's sights.

I'm using it right now and its great.With the web blocking features set, it actually speeds up my surfing.Has passed all the tests including full stealth.Tried Zonealarm Pro before Kerio and that lasted a day.Found it buggy.It also has web blocking but i had to keep re-enabling it every time i opened my browser.Would recommend Kerio to anyone and has integrated with my F-secure Security Suite flawlessly.

Umm for you people that say Norton is a resource hog and slows your computer down dramatically, here's something. If you're computer is actually decent with good CPU and RAM, resource hogs like Norton shouldn't really bother you. All the people that say Norton slows down their computer alot probably have bad computers. It doesn't cost alot to get a decent computer that can run well with Norton. Personally, I wouldn't go for Norton anyways, mainly because of it's low detection rate, and NOT because of the resources is uses.
----------------
Anyways, I suggest looking into Bitdefender of Kaspersky for antivirus, Zonealarm is a good firewall, but I find it buggy. Also, one anti-spyware is never enough. The Anti-spyware programs I have on my computer are: Ad-Aware Se Pro, Xoftspy, Counterspy, and Spyware Doctor. All very effective.

Thanks "edifier", I have also found ZoneAlarm to be buggie but it works. But if Kerio is working for you, I will give it a try. Thanx for the feed back!!!!!! I normally use a Mac, but I do have a PC at work and this information is always useful. I do fix Windows computers that are shutting down quite a bit. Most of the time it has to do with running an AV that is eating up all of there recourses. Any coment??? Norton and McAfee really do slow the computer down!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom