whats the best anti virus software?

Tehre are about a half dozen programs that tend to perform well on various tests. Norton, Avast, Kaspersky, Bit Defender, F Secure and Avira seem to get top marks. The problem is that they flip flop in performance on various measures across the tests.

Others not so good. Microsoft Security Essentials is one of the mediocre ones, and it doesn't work well with other anti-virus software. Free Avast might do better.

Dora

Okay there are several things wrong with your post here.

First and foremost, I dont know where you got this information that Norton gets rated high. I have yet to see that happen. Everyone who knows anything about PC Security will tell you to stay away from Norton and McAfee as if your life depended on it.

Next MSE is no where near mediocre. In fact it was higher rated than Norton, Avast and Avira just recently from the Independent AV Group. The group of people who test out all AV programs and rate them but do not get kick backs from a single one. Unlike PCMagazine which biggest financial backer is Norton and they dont want to bite the hand finances them so they always rate them high.

Not to mention MSE is a stand alone product just like all the ones you mentioned above. It is not to be used in conjunction with any other software. That is why it doesnt work well with other AV software cause it is not designed to. Not a single one of them are. If you have more than 1 AV installed, I am willing to bet you that you are infected. Despite both your programs saying your clean.

The fact of the matter is that any AV runs on a definition. But if you have 2 AV programs installed then they will fight each other trying to tell the system if a certain file is infected or not. The system will not be able to make a decision. The system will just ignore both and let the file slide. Therefor causing a potentially infected file thru both your security programs and infecting your system.

I like Avast pretty much because it's a complete suite, however they only use a trial version, and for day I've been getting this annoying pop-up meesage telling me it will expire. It's a free download like the others and it recognized pretty much al viruses. I think Antivirus should be free these days, I know this companies wants some profits, in that case there are couple of ones like Sytmenec or zenok that add some other features like online backupand they carge fair amounts for that.

The fact of the matter is that any AV runs on a definition. But if you have 2 AV programs installed then they will fight each other trying to tell the system if a certain file is infected or not. The system will not be able to make a decision. The system will just ignore both and let the file slide. Therefor causing a potentially infected file thru both your security programs and infecting your system.

Very much agreed. In my earlier years of computing, I had Norton and another antivirus (McAfee I think). The system ran terribly. It's also unstable and if the resident scanners conflict, some programs instantly lock when you try to run them. Just emphasizing what Mak said: ONE AV.

The only problem (not really a problem) with MSE is it uses a Windows Genuine Check program. And if it finds out your OS is a pirated one then you are technically screwed (unless you want to use other AV software). I also would suspect that MSE would have the most updated definitions table in the market considering it is made by Microsoft. When the virus Conficker came out, MSE was one of the first AV to repsond to that extremely dangerous virus. I am a MSE fan for those who dont know.

I used AVG for the longest time, but I am also a fan of MSE. I don't have a problem with the fact that it uses a Windows Genuine Check program as I bought their ultimate edition of vista, and then 7 when it came out. It may come into play if I ever decide to pirate a copy of Windows 8 for reasons unknown. I know I won't ever pay money for that piece of... nevermind. MSE is pretty sweet.

Back
Top Bottom