What is your list of favorite/most effective spyware/adware/malware removal programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybersspot.com

Baseband Member
I run a computer store and I'm always looking for more and better programs to use. I have a list of free ones that I run through along with some other tasks as well and I find 90% of the issues that come in.

1. start in safe mode, msconfig, startup, disable all.
2. CCleaner
3. MBAM malware-bytes
4. Spybot Search and Destroy
5. Google the problem
6. Remove HD and do an avg scan from another computer

I was just curious of some of your solutions to finding bugs and whatnot.

Re: What is your list of favorite/most effective spyware/adware/malware removal progr

Well i would disagree with a couple of your items.

First CCleaner is not a true removal program. Add into that using it to "clean the registry" could actually harm the system more than help it and your just adding to the problem instead of resolving it. Next Spybot is good, but there are others out there. SuperAntispyware is another decent one, but really between Combofix and MBAM, spyware is pretty much dead.

Google is not the end all source of information. People have to stop thinking that Google is the best place to go to find answers. Google doesnt spider every site on the internet. Microsoft sites are excluded. So if your trying to find something that is Windows or Microsoft related, Bing is your search engine of choice. As you will find more relevant answers and more direct answers from Microsoft themselves. Using Google will only bring you to sites like this and others that have topics on the subject which may not have the answer.

Last but not least, removing the drive and putting it into another system that is using a program that doesnt have the highest detection rate doesnt serve a purpose. You already used MBAM, AVG will not find more than MBAM. This step is futile. You would be better off buying Hiren's Boot CD or a Live AV CD from Avast or Kaspersky. They would serve you more purpose than removing the drive and scanning with an program that has a lower detection rate than one you already ran.

Our site Spyware Asylum is a combination of the efforts or Osiris, myself and many others who have spent years working with Windows and Removal. I have years of experience with Windows and Osiris has years of removal experience. I have learned from him as well as the many roads i have traveled along the way. Between us we have only come across a very select few problems that have left people at the point where a reinstall would be necessary. Even fewer that have lost data.

Re: What is your list of favorite/most effective spyware/adware/malware removal progr

Thanks for the info. I really like your detailed answers and reasoning. I will try Spyware Asylum with my endeavors and see how it goes and let you know from there.

There is always more than one way to get from point a to point b. I'm just trying to find a quicker way to get to b. ;)

Well there is no set way to get from point A to point B that is for sure. That is due to the fact that most infections cant be resolved with a single piece of software. If the infection is a Vundo you need a specific set of programs and so on. So each case is unique in it approach. Yeah you can do a couple of steps right off the bat, but from there things will always take a turn for each system. You cant think that the set you have or even the set provided is a knock down drag out way for anyone to resolve their issues without anything more. Which is why we ask them to post logs here. Cause we review the logs and from there can determine if further action is needed or if they need speciifc software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom