What Security Software Should I Get? Norton? Trend Micro? Kaspersky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paco joe

Solid State Member
I just bought a new PC with Vista Home Premium and a trial version of Norton Internet Security 2007. Being not very experienced, I need to rely on the advice of others to decide which security software to buy.

Norton Internet Security 2007 got great reviews on CNet and PCMag, but I've personally heard some pretty negative things firsthand. These include stories about serious installation problems, drag on system resources, a malfunctioning firewall, the futility of trying to remove all traces of it during installation, and its inability to coexist with other spyware programs on your computer. Some of this doesn't come as a surprise to me: I've had trouble removing pieces of Norton Antivirus in the past, and if what I suspect is right, it's refusing to let me use Ad-Aware 2007 right now (it just says "lost connection with Ad-Aware" every time I try to use it).

I've been using Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security 2005 up until now, and I've liked it a lot. It places very little drag on system resources and, AFAIK, gets the job done with regard to virus protection. Reviewers on CNet didn't like their latest product, 'Trend Micro Antivirus Plus Antispyware 2007' because apparently it's great with spyware but soft on virus protection. Nevertheless, I've had a very knowledgeable person tell me to stick with Trend Micro and just avoid Norton like the plague.

And then there's Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6, which got great reviews pretty much all-around. I don't have any experience with it, and haven't heard much about it in general. Since it was released last year, it's obviously not a brand-spanking new product.

So all in all, I've heard lots of conflicting reports, and it's hard to tell if one antivirus/antispyware product is head-and-shoulders above the others, or if all of them just suck these days. What should I spend my money on? Something I haven't mentioned?

Finally, 2 parting questions:

1. Would it be logical for me to decide to buy an older version of a security product if I think it's better? For example: buying Trend Micro 2005 instead of Trend Micro 2007 if I think the 2007 version comes with too much extra crap I don't need. Because as long as Trend Micro keeps releasing updates for the 2005 version, it'll be OK to use, right? Or is it best to stick with the latest, greatest version no matter what?

2. Is it OK to buy OEM security software (only the CD; no box or manuals included)?

:) Hi,

You can try using eScan AV (Anti-Virus), I have used nearly all the softwares that the security industry could throw up. I found eScan to live up to the features listed, unlike all others. Other than this eScan is a great gift to home pc or single pc users as it is the Antivirus software which uses the least amount of sysstem resources.

Also if you go for the older versions some software firms don't provide compatibility (with updates meant for newer versions), or the older software might just expire as softwares chk the date on your system during the first run and setting up your system clock doesn't help.

Also about OEMs, they are fine as long as you can pickup how the software works, as you have no manuals or guides to instruct you. Anyways you could always use the HELP option.

If you are looking for a software that is basic and free to use I suggest AVG (though it doesn't even have 1/2 of the features others offer).

But for better protection, ease on system resources, user friendliness and customization, I would strongly suggest using eScan Antivirus, Virus Control or ISS depending on the level of protection you want.

If you want something free that works well, go with AVG anti-virus and spybot search and destroy. They are both free and can keep you relatively safe from most things that dont require special fixes.

Kaspersky is the best paid version of the ones u mentioned. But if u dont have the cash go with what almighty said and youre going to have to stick with a hardware firewall till zonelabs comes out with a vista compatible firewall.
Or you can use the windows firewall for now. Any of these two solutions should work depending on youre surfing habits, and almost forgot to mention the kaerspy firewall works with vista.

If you want something free that works well, go with AVG anti-virus and spybot search and destroy. They are both free and can keep you relatively safe from most things that dont require special fixes.
I would agree. Adware or Avg spyware is good too. If you prefer the paid version try Kaspersky- norton uses a lot of resources....

Kaspersky is much better then norton or trend micro. and for spyware i use spyware docter, even though it takes up a lot of resources, you can enable and disable as needed. not to mention it cleans much more then ad-aware.

Thanks for the help, everyone! I went with Kaspersky Internet Security 6. Hopefully it'll do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom