Weird folder that i cannot access

Thresh25

Daemon Poster
I was going through my secondary drive I use for data and I see a folder called

"076159931b15ffbb9d1530690db10ad9"

I have no idea what this is and when I go into the folder it makes me give permission. I do that and then inside the folder is a bunch of other folders called
"1025" "1028" "1029" and so on. There's also a folder called graphics. These folders all require access but when I click to give myself access it says "You have been denied permission to access this folder, go to security tab"

Does anyone know what this is or how I can figure it out? There are also other files in this main folder called "header" "watermark" "setupengine.dll "setup" etc.

Thanks in advance

Sounds like a folder that is used for Windows Updates.

Agreed with Mak. Windows Update will usually use the drive with the largest amount of free space to cache update files on.

Also if these folders are denying you permission to access them in that way, that generally means their system files. Further backing up Carnage and K's point. I'd just leave it alone personally.

Is the folder hidden?

I bet you it's from when you installed your graphics driver.
A lot of exe programs for system files and drivers are actually self-extracting archives. So the first thing they do, instead of running the program, is extract themselves usually to the root level of the largest storage drive available (I get a lot of these on my 2TB drive), and the folder they extract to is usually named with some random value. Sometimes they clean themselves up automatically after they're done, but other times they don't.

I've noticed it happens when you install any version of Microsoft .NET Framework, updates for SQL Server, and various other MS programs as well.

Last edited:
I bet you it's from when you installed your graphics driver.
A lot of exe programs for system files and drivers are actually self-extracting archives. So the first thing they do, instead of running the program, is extract themselves usually to the root level of the largest storage drive available (I get a lot of these on my 2TB drive), and the folder they extract to is usually named with some random value. Sometimes they clean themselves up automatically after they're done, but other times they don't.

I've noticed it happens when you install any version of Microsoft .NET Framework, updates for SQL Server, and various other MS programs as well.

Doubt its the graphics driver. Usually goes in a NVIDIA or AMD folder on the root of the drive. It also doesn't put any security on the folder.

I can almost guarantee its a windows update (or similar) folder.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TechForums

Doubt its the graphics driver. Usually goes in a NVIDIA or AMD folder on the root of the drive. It also doesn't put any security on the folder.

I can almost guarantee its a windows update (or similar) folder.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TechForums
You're right, MS .NET Framework folders include a "graphics" folder in there as well. So it's most likely an update to that.

Back
Top Bottom