Weird files downloaded with PDFs, maybe viruses?

zvarri

Beta member
Hey all.
So I downloaded some PDFs off Google Drive (just hit the download button like normal) aaaaand when I moved my files onto my tablet, these really weird files came with them. They weren't there when I cut and pasted them, but I can't delete them on my computer or on my tablet's file manager for some reason.
They have me mad worried because I can't figure out what in the world they are or why they're not going anywhere. Also, the files that aren't PDFs aren't moving either, but they're just mobi files which my tablet won't read for some reason.
Thanks so much.

xnw0zk.jpg

Considering you said you downloaded those off of Google Drive, and those are retail books...that counts as piracy. So won't help you to get those to work, but rather tell you to delete them.

Boot into Safe Mode and try to delete them. After that, do the following:

Firstly, run a scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware (the Free version is fine, you don't need to activate the Pro trial). Scan with it, delete whatever it finds, reboot and post the log here. Download it from here:
https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Secondly, run a scan with AdwCleaner. Same as above, scan with it, delete what it finds, post the log file here. Download from here:
AdwCleaner Download

Thirdly, run a scan with HiJackThis. Run it as Admin, pick the "scan and generate log" option, and then post the logfile here. Do NOT remove ANYTHING unless told to do so, as removing the wrong entry can damage your system. Download it from here:
HiJackThis | SourceForge.net

Yeah I deleted the files right away (it was a terrible 'i'm sleep deprived and want to read something' decision), and I'm not at home right now so I don't have my tablet or desktop accessible but as soon as I deleted them the weird files seemed to reproduce.
I tired to isolate them into my old laptop by cutting and pasting them into a folder, and got an "unspecified error" message which was really weird, and then when I looked there were like twice as many of them. I'll do those things as soon as I get home, but since there's not much on my tablet anyway, I'm wondering if just factory resetting it would work?

Back
Top Bottom