viruses/spyware swapping from hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazza

In Runtime
hi, on my second computer i have reason to believe that the hdd has a few viruses etc. if i put it in to my computer no.1, could the viruses/spyware 'jump' to my other hdd, and infect that too? thanks

It is possible depending on what virus you have. My recommendation would be to boot into safe mode with networking and go to www.antivirus.com . Run a free scan and remove whatever it finds. Make sure you have java on the PC and use the Java option.

hi, thats the problem. it wont let me boot up. i did a virus scan and it found a virus or 2. it said it couldnt delete them. and my computer froze. so i turned it off from the mains. now when i try to boot up, it loads up to where i choose an account (xp) and when i type a password it crashes again. there is some data that i want on the hdd. it is not the end of the world if i have to reformat, but i would prefer not to.

No they won't infect the other unless you exacute the installation file for it. Just slave the HD to your clean PC and run your scanners and cleaners on the infected hard drive.

Since most malware is designed and incorporated into the RUN/START commands on the registry...it won't have either of these options if the hard drive it's on is slaved to another as you'll be using the clean PC to boot/start anyway.

thanks, i will try that then. for some reason though, it wont let me get into the booting options (this is on the infected computer)

usually when i want to boot up in safe mode e.t.c on other pc's i tap f8 on start up and it opens up the menu from where you choose how you want to boot. i cannot get this menu up on the infected computer, i have tried everything i can think of, tapping f2 f8 and delete, and i still cannot get it to choose safe mode. i can get into bios, but that doesnt help.

if i cannot sort the problems out i will have to put the hdd as a slave in my clean comp, and scan the hdd, and then copy the files i want.

how do i go about formatting the infected hdd? normally i just re install windows and that does it i believe, but i cannot get the xp cd to load on the infected computer. the cd works usually, but when i boot up and it says boot from cd press any key, i press keys and nothing happens. do i need to change something in bios?

any ideas?

thanks

Yes. If your going to boot to the XP CD on the infected PC...you need to enter the bios and select your DVD/CDROM as the first boot device. It will then boot to the CD.

As for formating the drive...you can do this either with the XP CD...or when it's slaved to the other PC. This will clear the drive....so make sure you saved what you needed.

yesterday the computer was kind enough to boot up for me. it crashed after about 10 mins though. in the 10 mins i had, i discovered that all of my files had been deleted! by the virus you ask? well, it wasnt me! ok, so i said to myself, right, lets reinstall xp and format the drive. i did what microbell said and changed cd drive to boot and the same thing still happens. it says press anykey to boot from cd. no matter what i press, it wont do it! i know its not the cd or keyboard, so what can i do?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom