virus or software problem???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jutro

Beta member
A friend of mine asked me to look at his computer, which was crashing every time AVG performed a full scan. The file that makes it crash is c:\found.000\dir00.chk\ntkrpamp.exe. The os is Windows XP. I did some research with google and found there were some issues with this file in SP1, and so I installed SP2 but this did not solve the problem and it continued to crash every time AVG performed a full scan. During one of the scans AVG found ESBAdultInstaller but was unable to remove it. A Panda online scan didn't even detect the ESB file, and so I uninstalled AVG, and then installed AVAST. It found ESB and put it into its virus vault. However, during a full scan it crashed again when it reached the ntkrmp.exe file (it goes into a blue screen, says there has been a kernel stack inpage error, and Windows says it has recovered from a serious error when rebooting). I performed an online symantec antivirus scan and it crashed again on the ntkrpam.exe file.

This has stumped me, because I'm unsure whether I'm dealing with a virus or a software error. My friend isn't computer literate, and doesn't update his computer in any systematic way, and so I wondered whether the problem was being caused by corrupted software and the virus was just a coincidence. If anybody can offer any advice on the matter I'd be very grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom