virus protection a scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pts2800

In Runtime
well its time for me to renew Norton antivirus, but i am having second thoughts about it. mainly because when i do a scan it doesn't find anything, and when i do get something it is too late and need to reformat my computer due to corruption. just wanted other opinions.

SCAM OR NOT A SCAM THAT IS THE QUESTION!!

i vote scam, so i probably wont renew it.

Not scam, but just wasted money. Avast or AVG is free and both are better than Norton.
Yeah I agree with you somewhat - but don't put your all in AVG, not all apps are perfect.
Norton is known for slowing down people's pc/laptops, not doing a good job of protecting their system nor finding viruses etc...
Try to get a safer and much better antivirus.

Anitvir is a good virus program
|MG| AntiVir Personal Edition 7 7.06.00.270

Spybot search and destroy is a good anti spy
|MG| SpyBot-Search & Destroy Tools 1.5.1.15 Final

Spywareblaster is a good preventer
|MG| SpywareBlaster 3.5.1

ccleaner is a real good junk/temp cleaner
|MG| CCleaner Slim (No Toolbar) 2.03.532

Auslogics is a decent defrag for freeware (I've tried about 12 or so different ones)
|MG| Auslogics Disk Defrag 1.4.11.267

and the best part is all of them are free... oh and BTW... Majorgeeks.com is one of the best websites to find other stuff you might want/need... (Bookmark it)

I have been without virus scanners for probably the last 2 years. I finally got around to installing avast last weekend. Oddly enough, computer was clean. As long as you arent downloading random files off the internet its rare to get a virus.

Lets see here...

Vxer make a new Windows virus called loveme.trojan
I creates a buffer overflow from an exploit in TCP/IP stack
No patch is yet available from MS
But virus defs are out from your antivirus which kills the virus/trojan.

YOU NEED AN ANTIVIRUS BECAUSE AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER, YOU WILL BE HIT

I have to echo Osiris's advice.

Surfing without A/V is like having unprotected sex. The main difference is that, in sex, you can see who it is... online, you are copulating with untold numbers of other possibly contaminated systems, not to mention possibly compromised sites that otherwise would be safe. Either way, you will eventually get something that won't wash off in the shower.

Norton is a joke. McAfee is right there with it. I use Nod32, and have used CA (Computer Associates), and will vouch for both of them.

I have Nod32 as well, and it does a good job. Tried to execute a file which I thought was clean (the other files that were downloaded with it were clean), and Nod32 freaked out on me/sent the file to quarantine, and said it was a trojan. Whether or not it did in fact have a trojan or not, I'm not sure, but it was quick to be caught. My parent's computer still has Norton on it (but I'm getting rid of it as soon as the license expires...dunno if I should put AVG free on it or Nod32).

Ad-Aware, along with the others that Nukem listed, is good as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom