Virus from freeserials.com - How did it get through??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leady4 said:
AVG picks up the virus whenever I visit the site.
It is immediately put in the vault but I am concerned with how easily it gets through.
Is IE6 that rubbish that anyone can send me anything through without my knowledge? How can I stop this?
It's not sent by active X because I never install them unless I know they are trusted.
Can they send stuff using active scripting, java or flash?
And if so why does my firewall not block them?
Do I need to change my browser to one that is more secure?

Yes, change your browser. When using IE, anything gets through.

Which is best and where do I get it from?
You say that browsers like FireFox and Opera also let stuff through if there's no Antivirus keeping them out.
What do I need to improve my security?

Leady4 said:

Is IE6 that rubbish that anyone can send me anything through without my knowledge? How can I stop this?

You could switch to firefox and get the windows meta file exploite fix from windows update that will remove about 90% of the ways spyware/virus's will get in. (Both IE6 and IE7 are very insecure compared to firefox and opera.)

Grayfox said:
You could switch to firefox and get the windows meta file exploite fix from windows update that will remove about 90% of the ways spyware/virus's will get in. (Both IE6 and IE7 are very insecure compared to firefox and opera.)

How do you figure 90%?

Does the Trojan still come back? I saw this kind before, it will change your desktop, it will change a bunch of thing and than installed a spyware scanner on your computer and tell you to buy the software because you are infected. LOL I think it's this one, because I was playing around at my security class and infected the machine on purpose (we were allow to do so).

When using IE6 trojan always get down loaded in to Temporary internet folder. Don't think i actually get infected with the virus as AVG puts it straight in to the Vault and I never execute the file.
when visiting the site using Opera it actually tells me that an exe file is trying to be transfered to my computer.
I presume that the settings for active scripting in IE6 are not as secure as Opera but if there is a setting in Opera for a prompt to pop up when anyone tries to send a file then why not IE6? probably just cos it's microsoft s***
I have experimented by turning off certain aspects (ie active scripting) using the security settings in IE6 but this limits the amount of legit sites I can use due to them requiring flash etc.
Any further advice that anyone can offer would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom