Virus Doctor Shuts Down Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatBlue

Solid State Member
Hello all, I hope you can help me with this issue. I am running Widows XP SP3.

A couple of days ago while using Firefox my window was completely shut down and a grey pop-up box appeared alerting me to a potential virus:

http: //rootscan.info saying Warning! Your PC is at risk of virus and malware attack.
Your system requires immediate check!
System Security will perform a quick and free scan of your PC for viruses and malicious programs

I have heard of these fake malware alerts/pop-ups before, so I clicked on the X to close the box. Still, a new window opened which looked like a scan was starting. I immediately shut this down as well and ran all the anti-virus software I have on my computer: Ad-Aware, AVG-Anti-Virus, and Malwarebytes. Every scan came back clean. I shut down my computer and restarted it and everything seemed fine for a day. Alas, it happened again today.

I found a site that said this rogue anti-spyware application was called Virus Doctor and it gives instructions on how to remove it:

Remove Virus Doctor, removal instructions

I followed the instructions, but every place I checked (in the registry and under Application Data) also came up clean. I don't think Virus Doctor ever downloaded, but I keep getting these pop-up messages. The pop-ups are annoying enough, but what I really hate is it completely shuts down the window I have open and I lose whatever I am working on (email, etc).

Any ideas how to fix this? I look forward to your replies.

Kind regards, cheers,
Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom