Virus?

CompT

Baseband Member
Recently my computer, at random times and random intervals, has been playing soft music. Speakers don't change the volume of it. I closed all tabs and it still wouldn't go away. I searched it up and it said I had a virus. So I did a full system scan and it detected no spyware or viruses on my comp. So what is it???

Well what did you use to scan exactly? What AV are you running?

Firstly, run a scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware (the Free version is fine, you don't need to activate the Pro trial). Scan with it, delete whatever it finds, reboot and post the log here. Download it from here:
https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Secondly, run a scan with AdwCleaner. Same as above, scan with it, delete what it finds, post the log file here. Download from here:
AdwCleaner Download

Thirdly, run a scan with HiJackThis. Run it as Admin, pick the "scan and generate log" option, and then post the logfile here. Do NOT remove ANYTHING unless told to do so, as removing the wrong entry can damage your system. Download it from here:
HiJackThis | SourceForge.net

That's an old school virus. I had that way back. Go in to safe mode without networking and run malwarebytes.

This post is from May, guys...and OP hasn't been back since then.

I have never heard of this before... Try Malwarebytes and if that doesn't work, get a paid antivirus (it will be worth the money)

Fully disagree. Several free AV's that are as good or better than paid AV's.

What type of computer are you running? Because Microsoft said: During normal operation or in Safe mode on Windows 2000, your computer may play "Fur Elise" or "It's a Small, Small World" seemingly at random. This is an indication sent to the PC speaker from the computer's BIOS that the CPU fan is failing or has failed, or that the power supply voltages have drifted out of tolerance. This is a design feature of a detection circuit and system BIOSes developed by Award/Unicore from 1997 on.

What type of computer are you running? Because Microsoft said: During normal operation or in Safe mode on Windows 2000, your computer may play "Fur Elise" or "It's a Small, Small World" seemingly at random. This is an indication sent to the PC speaker from the computer's BIOS that the CPU fan is failing or has failed, or that the power supply voltages have drifted out of tolerance. This is a design feature of a detection circuit and system BIOSes developed by Award/Unicore from 1997 on.

Uh...wrong thread?

This post is from May, guys...and OP hasn't been back since then.

Fully disagree. Several free AV's that are as good or better than paid AV's.

Carnage, we can start a new thread on this if needed (because: ermagherd, zombie threadz!), but I'm curious how you choose which AV is good. I know for myself, I judge first and foremost on resource usage. I've not seen a lighter footprint than Webroot, and I've tried a ton of them.

The second is, obviously, detection rate. Webroot is truly cloud based, so as long as it's connected (which is when it's vulnerable) it's as up to date as the company's definitions, which are usually hourly updates.

Third is issues. Kaspersky causes keyboard to quit working (keyboard filters), Norton will lock down a network when the sub expires, etc. They ALL cause their conflicts, but with Webroot I've seen far fewer issues. Especially with the newer Secure Anywhere version since it's just a light little shell. I've only seen one startup problem related to a Microsoft KB and Webroot. Was solved same day by Webroot.

When we're talking about these freebies (besides MBAM - they're really damn good for free), what's your personal experience in each area that I've mentioned? My biggest hangup on the freeware is bloat and slug followed immediately by lack of detection. Many aren't as problematic as Norton and McAfee, but if they slow me down and/or can't catch the common crap, then there's no point to installing them, either.

Carnage, we can start a new thread on this if needed (because: ermagherd, zombie threadz!), but I'm curious how you choose which AV is good. I know for myself, I judge first and foremost on resource usage. I've not seen a lighter footprint than Webroot, and I've tried a ton of them.

The second is, obviously, detection rate. Webroot is truly cloud based, so as long as it's connected (which is when it's vulnerable) it's as up to date as the company's definitions, which are usually hourly updates.

Third is issues. Kaspersky causes keyboard to quit working (keyboard filters), Norton will lock down a network when the sub expires, etc. They ALL cause their conflicts, but with Webroot I've seen far fewer issues. Especially with the newer Secure Anywhere version since it's just a light little shell. I've only seen one startup problem related to a Microsoft KB and Webroot. Was solved same day by Webroot.

When we're talking about these freebies (besides MBAM - they're really damn good for free), what's your personal experience in each area that I've mentioned? My biggest hangup on the freeware is bloat and slug followed immediately by lack of detection. Many aren't as problematic as Norton and McAfee, but if they slow me down and/or can't catch the common crap, then there's no point to installing them, either.

AV-Comparatives Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - AV-Comparatives

I use that as a guideline and base my suggestions off of other sources and/or experiences.

So far I've been recommending Avira; was Avast until they took a few hits last year according to AV-C's tests, but Avira has been near the top for a while now in their tests.

Back
Top Bottom