User account migration process from windows 2000 ftp server to windows 2003

l3c03

Beta member
I'm trying to find out the process involved in migrating user accounts currently on a DMZ ftp server on Windows 2000 to a Windows 2003 machine. Any related links or documentation would be greatly appreciated. Would basically like to see of its a complicated process or if there is a tool out there that automates the transfer.

Windows 2000 or server 2000?

If both are server OS's you could use a powershell script to export the accounts to txt file, then import them using powerscript as well.

Most variables should be able to be pulled over.

Thanks Lexluethar. Both are server OS's. Would you know of a link online that could walk me through the process of using the powerscript method you mention?

Yea, with 03 you'll have to install the extensions that allow powershell to work. It's essentially just VB script that you can use on Server OS's to accomplish tasks like the one you outlined above. Give me a minute and i'll repost what i find. I know the script to import / export on 08, i want to make sure it's the same for 00 and 03.

So...:
This article describes the installation packages for the English-language versions of Windows PowerShell 1.0. The installation packages are designed for the following versions of Microsoft Windows:
Windows Server 2003 R2
Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 2 (SP2)
Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3)

I don't think powershell works with 2000. Do you have an option to upgrade the server to 03? Even if it was on a trial basis if you are decomissioning the server you could upgrade, export the accounts then trash the server.

Sorry, didn't get the article you mention above. The ftp server we are trying to decommission is a virtual so the plan is actually to upgrade it to 2003. So we are just trying to make sure the process of migrating the user accounts can be as smooth as possible being its a dmz server.

Thanks again. Do you think that would work for migrating to 2003 too as well if we cant go from 2000 to 2008. If not I was able to find this article. Just didn't know if the article below would apply since its a dmz ftp server(which really dont know if it makes a difference) were talking about and other steps would have to be involved.

This is what I was able to find;

Upgrading from a Windows 2000 domain: Active Directory

Sorry busy week, didn't see this until today.

I believe the same principles would apply, regardless of the location of the server (since its in DMZ) and the services running on the server (FTP).

Any ideas or are you aware of using IIS Export Utility in order to transfer over the settings and sites from the old server in addition to performing the AD migration?

Back
Top Bottom