Uploading CD into my music library

Status
Not open for further replies.

manofgold

Beta member
For some reason it takes 15 minutes or more to upload a CD into my music library. It doesn't matter what program I use: Windows Media Player, Nero or iTunes. Same results. The computer is a Dell Latitude laptop running Windows 2000 Professional with 196 MB. The drive is a TEAC CD-224E. I thought it might be the drive so I bought a Memorex 52x, 32x external drive but same results. When I run a speed drive test through Nero it only shows it running at 6.5x speed. I also downloaded AdAware and SpyBot Search and Destroy. No change. Also, downloaded a start up manager program so I have nothing running at startup that is not needed. As I go into task manager right now it shows 23 processes running with CPU Usage % flucuating from 0-4%. Actually, there was a quick spike to 26% then 33% now it is sitting at zero. Memory usage shows 105724/373608K. The listings in the task manager are: System Idle Process, System, smss.exe, winlogon.exe, crss.exe,services.exe, Isass.exe, taskmgr.exe, svchost.exe, spoolsv.exe, Avsynmgr.exe, CfgSrvc.exe, regsvc.exe, MSTask.exe, SDMan.EXE, WinMgmt.exe, Oadp.exe, iexplore.exe,Explorer.EXE, svchost.exe. It will not allow me to close any of these except for iexplore.exe. I looked up what some of these things were and some were listed as a result of a virus yet I can't remove them. Can this be the problem? I think I gave as much info as I could. The bottom line is I have an iPod mini with five songs on it because it pains me to take over 15 minutes to upload one lousy CD into the computer. Thanks for the help.

would you like me to move this question to the virus forum? they may be able to help you get that fixed at least. If you are desperate you could backup your data and try using your dell restore CD to reinstall windows than run a complete virus scan. try opening device manager and see if you are running at PIO mode on your secondary or primary IDE controllers. If you can, try switching it back to DMA

I'm not sure of your CPU, you didn't say but 15 minutes with 196 MB's of ram doesn't seem to far off to me. Take a look at my sig, even with that Musicmatch rips to my harddrive at about 13x to 15x speed which takes about 5 to 8 minutes, as well as WMP 10 but I can reliably burn to CD at 40x. Ripping music to your hardrive and burning to a CD are two different things in terms of drive speed. Your software will only rip as fast as it can reliably regardless of drive speed while you can burn CD's at much higher speeds. I could be wrong but I'd say your stuck with that speed and for what you have really isn't that bad, be a little more patient. ;)

tribalsun said:
I'm not sure of your CPU, you didn't say but 15 minutes with 196 MB's of ram doesn't seem to far off to me. Take a look at my sig, even with that Musicmatch rips to my harddrive at about 13x to 15x speed which takes about 5 to 8 minutes, as well as WMP 10 but I can reliably burn to CD at 40x. Ripping music to your hardrive and burning to a CD are two different things in terms of drive speed. Your software will only rip as fast as it can reliably regardless of drive speed while you can burn CD's at much higher speeds. I could be wrong but I'd say your stuck with that speed and for what you have really isn't that bad, be a little more patient. ;)

HUH???

I rip cds up to 48x-50x speed

If I unistall IDE drivers what do I need to reinstall? Or does it take care of itself when rebooting?

EricB said:
HUH???

I rip cds up to 48x-50x speed

Ick! I constructed my post in word pad and copied it over, lost some of my post. :eek:

My Asus gets to 15x as I throttled it down. My sony gets to 35x-40x as I capped it also.

manofgold said:
If I unistall IDE drivers what do I need to reinstall? Or does it take care of itself when rebooting?

It automatically does it. check your PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom