uninstalling mcafee?? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Security | Computer, Devices, Software and Systems > Viruses, Spyware and Malware
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to SirCyber
Default uninstalling mcafee??

ok, well, trying to uninstall mcafee, and it is not doing it. access denied issues. could reinstalling it to repair it, then uninstalling it work? it is a paid subscription, and I'm working on a friends computer. I just put avira and avast! on this computer, along with spybot S&D. is there anything else that I can put on this computer to help speed it up? I'm not wanting to many programs, already did a system clean, it was actually fairly clean. ok, well, thanks for the help guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak213
Knowledge is power. Power is nothing if it is not shared.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: uninstalling mcafee??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCyber View Post
ok, well, trying to uninstall mcafee, and it is not doing it. access denied issues. could reinstalling it to repair it, then uninstalling it work? it is a paid subscription, and I'm working on a friends computer. I just put avira and avast! on this computer, along with spybot S&D. is there anything else that I can put on this computer to help speed it up? I'm not wanting to many programs, already did a system clean, it was actually fairly clean. ok, well, thanks for the help guys!
ok well by putting on 3 av programs you're not doing your friend any help... put on avg8 and call it a day. also download ccleaner (google it) and run that, that will clean out brower shiz and can clean up your registry.

also disable it on start up (msconfig) and end the program tree thats attached to mcafee and you should be able to uninstall it.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

In order to totally uninstall McAfee or Norton you usually have to download a utility from them that uninstalls the program. Reason being is usually there are files always loaded in memory since it is a virus scanning utility.

Google it.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

right, but if you prevent it from loading up on start up it won't load the files into memory, and if you end the process tree it kills all files running that are associated with mcafee, enabling you to uninstall it
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
right, but if you prevent it from loading up on start up it won't load the files into memory, and if you end the process tree it kills all files running that are associated with mcafee, enabling you to uninstall it
I haven't had much luck w/ that. Honestly, i've tried to mess w/ msconfig, what processes start or are enabled and it always threw error messages out. I found the easiest fastest way was to uninstall it by using a utility from the company.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexluethar View Post
I haven't had much luck w/ that. Honestly, i've tried to mess w/ msconfig, what processes start or are enabled and it always threw error messages out. I found the easiest fastest way was to uninstall it by using a utility from the company.
Agreed, that's all I do now as well.

|MG| McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool 2.0.155.1

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 11-02-2008, 01:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to SirCyber

thanks for the help guys, and especially carnagex for the link... will dl ccleaner, forgot about that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak213
Knowledge is power. Power is nothing if it is not shared.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Private Joker

No problem, glad to help.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Closed Thread