undetectable virus is ruining my computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosdarksoulz

Beta member
heya

i recently found my computer infected with this virus, a virus which i know nothing about.
all i am sure of is i downloaded something a few days ago and ever since my computer has been acting up.

i was browsing the web a few nights back and i came across this fake cnn website but i realised too late.
there was a video on the page about miley cyrus and i clicked it but instead it promted me to download a media player or something by the name of "PlayMe"
i thought it was a add on or something you needed to watch the video so i downloaded it and then clicked run, nothing happened, just that it said i installed "PlayMe" and but there was no change or anything at all.
no icon, no program file absolutely nothing.
then i began wondering if i had just downloaded a virus...
i soon confirmed my suspicions after i clicked several links on the fake CNN page which all bought me back to the same miley cyrus video...

moments after i deleted the "PlayMe" file and uninstalled it, my firefox would not go to its mozilla google start page, it would keep redirecting until a error would appear saying the page could not be loaded due to some cookie error but i never had that problem before and i accepted all the cookies anyway.
furthermore when ever i searched something in google in firefox, every link i clicked would open in another tab for some reason and i didnt change any settings.
to add to that, the links that would open would not be the same link, sometimes it would be a blank page and other times it would be adverts or wrong websites.

and jus today i tried downloading avg anti virus, advanced spyware remover and norton scanner but once i did all three of them were unable to update for some strange reason...
i couldnt even access "MyComputer" and click "LocalDisk C"
everything is just acting up...

it all happened because i downloaded a executable file named "PlayMe"...
thats all i know, please can anyone help me and shed some light on this...

thank you very much

jaki

I recommend u get rid of all Mcaffee , Norton crud. That's what it is. It just slows
things down and it's complicated to use. Maybe AVG and Sygate personal firewall. Get Adaware and
Spybot S&D. Hijackthis is indispensible:happy:

Adaware is half useless nowadays, really. After Personal SE it went downhill. A good combination nowadays is Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, and AVG.

But as Osiris said, post a HJT log.

Download CCleaner from here and run it.
Download CCleaner 2.17.853 - FileHippo.com

Download and Update Spybot Search and Destroy. There are new version of it below.
The home of Spybot-S&D!

Bitdefender Online Scanner works quite well too.
Free Online Virus Scan - BitDefender Online Scanner

Bitdefender 30 Day trial
Free Anti Virus Downloads - BitDefender

What I have noticed, sometimes AV software wont pick up on a virus infected file untill its being opened or scanned. So if you run Spybot S&D, you should install the trial version of Bitdefender and it will pick up files Spybot S&D checks which S&D may not pick up.

I use these plus other more advanced programs and techniques to get rid of virus'

When you scan for this virus, its sometimes better to run everything in SAFE MODE with you computer DISCONNECTED from the internet. Virus' sometimes like to "redownload" them selfs after deletion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom