Unauthorised transaction & phishing emails -linked?

Cobretti

Beta member
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this website I am looking for some clarity on my situation as paypal & my bank aren't exactly helpful.

This morning I woke up and i had about 200+ emails, all random phishing emails. I have listed a few below:

classof1956-request@sciencehill .org
announce-request@lists.openmoko .org
dhs-csed-request@lists12.state.mn .org

etc etc

I then checked my paypal and I have seen a transaction for 1$ and im not sure if this is linked ....
the transaction on paypal was a donation to:
FBI LA CA AA
FBI LACAAA | Los Angeles Citizen's Academy Alumni Association
rumanes@fbilacaaa .org

which is quite unnerving and bare in mind im from the UK.

I have since changed all passwords on my email accounts/paypal and moved all senders of the email to my junk folder.
I have opened a dispute through paypal & I contacted my bank and they said it may not be anything to worry about since the amount of 1$ hasn't left my bank account.

I have ran a scan on my computer (no malware) etc and all programs & the OS is fully up-to-date.

It was just strange how both of these events have occured on the same day.

Any help at all or insight would be greatly appreciated!

-DM

Last edited:
Keep a close eye on your accounts - the $1 purchases are a lot of times used as "tests" to make sure an account is valid. Such as when credit cards get stolen, there will be a $1 (or similar) charge to check the account.

The $1 is also used as a placeholder in non-stolen cards as a way to authorize a card (such as at gas pumps).

thanks for your response, it's the first one i have ever saw to be honest, and for the address of the website to be the "FBI LACAAA | Los Angeles Citizen's Academy Alumni Association" is strange considering i live in the UK.

However like i stated my bank said no money has left my account, I'll keep an eye on it .

-thanks
DM

Just to update my post. It ended up being linked to the phishing emails. The thief managed to get into my account first time of trying and tried using the 1$ as a placeholder. Paypal (after manyyyy attempts of finding a human being to talk to) i found one and they sorted it and clarified that it was a phishing attack.
As stated previous i've changed all passwords/security Q's/answers to re-secure my account.

Back
Top Bottom