Unable to Scan files on Avast

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZhengHe

In Runtime
I scanned with Avast and it came up with a lot of files that it was "unable to scan". Someone told me a while back that if I put it into safemode it will be able to scan those files. Does anyone know how to scan in safemode on Avast Antivirus Home Edition?

TheMajor said:
reboot your comp, press F8 during startup, select "bootin safe mode"
I try that and this F8 thing doesnt work. Is there anyone who know how to boot in safe mode with XP. I have over 200 "unable to scan" every time and that piss me off.

I actually found out how to boot in safe mode using Msconfig. But the problem still appear in safe mode. When I look at the type of files that avast isnt able to scan they are all from Spyboot and Ad-Aware.
Why am I unable to scan those 2 programs? Are they running in safe mode?

Look in your computer's manual on how to boot into safemode, you should have an option at startup. Once you get into safemode, just double click the .exe and scan away. Also, you can have avast! scan on startup, before any programs start running (don't ask me how this works)

Computer's manual ??? Sorry dont have that ;)

Actually I found how to boot in safe mode, but I still have the same problem. I can try to scan on startup, but I doubt it will do it.

What are the files that it won't scan? Like.. where're they located? If they're sys files, there may be a reason for that. What OS are you running?

I maybe found out why. I scan and take a look to the type of file avast wasnt able to scan. They were all .bmp :confused: from ad-aware skins. So I track it down to the file and I saw that Ad-aware use a special compression type for is skins.
When I do a normal scan with Avast, it look inside the compressed files. therefore he is probably unable to read those file cause thay are somehow protected.
The files I had from Spybot before, were probably the deleted backup file that were in quarantine on my drive. Cause I deleted them and I didnt get anything else from spybot.

Thanks SkyHi for your question, they help figure out what is the problem. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom