Trying to disable software in msconfig - 'the parameter is incorrect'

Status
Not open for further replies.

In Runtime
I am trying to disable a piece of software on my computer from running automatically during startup. However when I untick the box and hit apply I receive the error 'the parameter is incorrect' and it goes back to being ticked. At least it did this at first, now when I click apply it simply goes back to being ticked.

Now this is the kind of behaviour I would expect from a virus, however this is actually software that I installed from a manufacturer's website that is part of an anti-virus/web filtering service. I only actually use the VPN part of the software and did not install the anti-virus component. So I know the software isn't a virus, and I know it isn't just my computer as I have had the same thing happen on several other users computers.

My question is has anyone ever seen this kind of behaviour before? For a legitimate program? If so is there any way to get around it? I would like to keep using the software, I just want to disable the auto-run.

I checked the software, there is nothing anywhere on it. How would CCleaner help, it's a registry cleaner isn't it? I wouldn't want to remove any keys that are necessary for the software as I would still like to be able to use it, just simply disable the auto-run. Is there a section in the registry that lists auto-run programs that perhaps I could disable it that way?

Not a section per se, but yes you can set programs to load on startup from within the registry. CCleaner has a section where you can enable or disable startup programs, I've found it succeeds where msconfig fails sometimes.

I know this is an old thread, but I just had the same issue with Windows 7, and here is what worked for me. Go to your StartMenu, then Accessories, then you will see the black Command Prompt Icon. Hold down the right click & release on your desktop - copy shortcut here. Right Click the new shortcut & select Advanced. Click the radio button "Run as Administrator". Now use this new shortcut to open your command prompt - type "msconfig" at root drive (cd.. until you get to c:\)- you should not get this error message now when using msconfig! (Also works for other programs that need administrator rights.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom