think i need to reinstall windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

robina_80

Banned
ive logged on windows in safe mode aswell and still i cant open any of my programs even my antivirus or spware programs to run scans also my system tray only shows 2 programs the network and sound all the rest of my programs on there have compltely gone and i think ive got hit with a bad virus?

Never heard of a virus that could do that. I have heard of infections that could prevent the running of programs of removal tools. But never one that stopped everything dead in its tracks. What changes have you made to the system? What protection were you using?

i havnt updated/installed any software or driver just started today when i tried to start my computer, im using AVG 2011 and it wont let me open any program let alone my virus/spyware programs and my system tray used to have loads of programs running in it now theres not

Sorry but an infection wouldnt just come out of no where like that. There was no talk on any sites of a 0Day infection that did this. So if it is an infection, it would be something that has been there for a while. But as i already said i have never heard of any infection that prevent everything from running.

So i dont know what you installed but something is wrong with your setup. There is no infection out there that will just prevent you from using your PC 1 day.

i mean it did install a certain program but i deleted it straight away as i didnt have a clue what it was, i didnt open ity just deleted it and sorry i dont know what site it installed it from, other than that ive got no idea, i tried to use system restore but it produces some error and cant restore to a previous date

Well that program you installed without knowing what it was is what created this issue. You should ALWAYS know what your downloading and installing. If you dont, then you shouldnt be downloading anything at all. You are responsible for such things. You cant rely on even anti-virus protection when you allow such things to happen. NEVER give permission for anything to download or install if you dont know what it is or what it does.

If you cant use a restore point, then this program infected them as well. You have no choice but to format and reinstall Windows at this time. Lesson learned.

i mean it did install a certain program but i deleted it straight away as i didnt have a clue what it was,

this sounds like a nasty rootkit infection. were you on your admin account when you were prompted for this download? what kind of download, and what application requested it? was it a codec? eg> Windows Media Player, Adobe, ect.

reinstalling might save time at this point, but there are steps you can take to see what it is you are dealing with first.

do you have malwarebytes? i would suggest booting into safe mode w/networing and runing this. also, while in safe mode, run a cmd based utility scanner to make sure everything is in "synergy". what flavor of windows are you using? i will get you the proper command line to run to preform this task.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom