Teen Gets Prison Term for Scientology DDOS Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Teen Gets Prison Term for Scientology DDOS Attack

I'm going to reserve comment on this story and just let you guys do it. Dmitriy Guzner, an 19-year-old New Jersey man, was sentenced to a year and a day of prison time and ordered to pay $37,500 in restitution to the Church of Scientology for his role in a DDOS attack on the church's website in January 2008. Hmm…

Guzner took part in a series of distributed denial of service attacks that knocked the Church of Scientology's Web site offline for several days. The DDOS attacks began Jan. 19 and proceeded to knock the Scientology.org Web site offline by hitting it with several bursts of up to 220Mbit/sec. in unwanted Internet traffic.

Meh, he got what he deserved I guess. I mean on the one hand I want to say YEAH! GO THIS DUDE! But lets mix up the scenario a bit here, say he was an ex-tf member and DDoS'd TF, I don't think I'd support him much then.

I reckon scientology is a load of **** myself. But if people want to join it (even after reading the dubious reports about the organisation) or are just too stupid to fully research something they're gonna join beforehand, then that's their decision. It's not up to some teenage hacker to decide whether their site stays up or not.

Ehh... 220Mb, not that much... Then again, for his age, and such, that is actualy, in a way, impressive, if only he could actualy cover his tracks... Either he didn't use a big enough bot network, or, he just bought a few really good connections... Oh well, in the end, this kid will end up being hired somewhere for cyber security one day.

I reckon scientology is a load of **** myself. But if people want to join it (even after reading the dubious reports about the organisation) or are just too stupid to fully research something they're gonna join beforehand, then that's their decision. It's not up to some teenage hacker to decide whether their site stays up or not.

Very true. Just because you hate Scientolgy and even though Scientology is deemed a "criminal organisation", it still does not give any one the right to take the law into thier own hands and start DDOSing.

Guzner took part in a series of distributed denial of service attacks that knocked the Church of Scientology's Web site offline for several days.
Okay, I remember I was keeping a close eye on things at the beginning of Project Chanology. I remember the CoS website getting knocked around alot with varios DDOS attacks, but I don not recall it going down for a few days.

Sounds like the CoS BS machine at work there.
As i recall one of the Scientology teachings being If you can not find any thing incriminating on some one, create something.

Remember Political views and Religious aspects are NOT to make their way into topics. That goes for the whole forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom