• McAfee

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • BitDefender

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Kaspersky

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
Re: Tech-Forums Top Rated Antivirus 2010

Avg is like going ****. At every starting of pc, it satarts too and it is hard to make it disabled.

I am a PC tech at a small company, and I have moved almost exclusively into the anti-malware, network monitoring, and general security realm altogether. I cannot believe the spike in malware activity AND the constantly-improving tactics and techniques used by the "bad guys".

In my personal opinion one single antivirus product cannot cut the mustard. I have been most successful with using a combination of the following: Bitdefender 2010 (I feel it is important to have an advanced firewall monitoring feature) or Kaspersky, staying on top of Microsoft's latest patches, SysInternals Suite, and a handful of free anti-rootkit and anti-malware apps available online (combofix, UnHackMe, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Helios Lite, GMER, etc.) Also, a good Host Intrusion Detection System is useful as well (OSSEC comes to mind).

I do suggest using as many tools as possible because of the necessity of cross-referencing results. One product might pick up on something that another product missed altogether.

Although, Norton, Eset, AVG, and the like are all very common, very popular choices, I feel that they do not come close to something like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, or even the free A2 Squared. Mind you, this is only my opinion :) Though I understand that Symantec/Norton has greatly improved this year in detection rates and even surpassed Bitdefender in areas (Bitdefender is slow, but I have been happy with the detection rates). Kaspersky was my favorite before I learned about and started using Bitdefender for my clients.

In the end, I have been most satisfied living in two worlds: the Windows / Linux dualboot solution!

Anyone else feel the same?

Very nice discussion on what you use; I think most everyone will agree to using combinations of the programs you listed.. However, I think this thread is specifically about which anti-virus you would use in your "combination" of programs.

My personal favorite is MSE :) Microsoft did an awesome job creating it. It's so simple and intuitive without annoying pop ups asking for registration renewals etc.. I can feel confident that my customers won't get too confused when its installed on their machines. On top of that it works very well in helping remove most viruses.

LOL! and I completely agree! I consider myself a "safe" browser, and only once in a great while do I ever get a virus at all. but at the same time, I run a serious antimalware suite, consisting of Avast!, Malwarebytes, Hijackthis, Comodo Firewall, Spybot S&D, Spiceworks Network Security, Comodo LivePC Support, and my drives are encrypted with Comodo Disk Encryption. lol

Back
Top Bottom