Suspicious email, then file....

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaazmar

Baseband Member
I use Outlook 2002 (not express) and have the preview pane enabled. Today I received an email in poor english with a business opportunity and an .rar file attachment. I did not click any of the URL links it invited me to within the body of the email. I immediately deleted it. Feeling paranoid, I searched for recently created/modified files and found a file that had been created with a stamp of 10:15pm....well, I had seen this email at 10:25pm, so, maybe....

One file came up. RSUI2.BIN was found in C:\WINDOWS. Googling this file turned up nothing but 6 or 7 garbled foreign, apparently fake site listings. I of course did not click any. One site was located in Taiwan, just like the business opportunity. Bells. Whistles.

Here are my concerns/questions:

1) Norton Antivirus, Adaware, and Spybot turn up nothing on my PC. I deleted the file and emptied the recycling bin. I have since rebooted and scanned again and manually searched for created/modified files and also read over my running processes. Nothing at all suspicious. I guess I'm concerned that if this created a .bin file in C:\windows, what else could it have done? To my registry, for example.

2) How can I secure Outlook? I have just disabled the preview pane. Will this prevent something like this from happening? Or does the actual automatic download of the email/file attachment pose a risk. Should I switch to web-based email for added security? How about Mozilla Thunderbird?

Any tips for verifying my PCs current cleanliness as well as tips for preventitive measures appreciated! Thanks...Kaaz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom