Sursidekick.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazlerker

Beta member
I have had no luck removing all traces of surfsidekick...I have run Hijackthis..I have run Spyware doctor regcleaner - all in safe mode as well as normal boot up...There must be a file..a .dll or something that causes it to come back within 30 secs of starting IE...does not come back when using Firefox....My kingdom for a fix!

Have you tried manually removing it with Add/Remove programs? If not, do so, and then edit the registry as follows:

# Click Start > Run.
# Type regedit

Then click OK.

# Navigate to the key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Current Version\Run

# In the right pane, delete the value:

"SurfSideKick" = "%Program Files%\SurfSideKick\Ssk.exe"

# Navigate to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

# In the right pane, delete the value:

"SurfSideKick" = "%Program Files%\SurfSideKick\Ssk.exe"

# Navigate to and delete the following keys:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{000AB0005-FF12-42C2-8DF5-39E12E5F9C91}
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\URLSearchHooks\{000AB0005-FF12-42C2-8DF5-39E12E5F9C91}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Surf Sidekick_is1

Post back and let me know if it helped.

Well.in the last few weeks I have gone through regedit 3 or 4 times....removed all the keys and strings thatare posted on various forums as being the ones to remove..and I have done this in safe mode as well as regular bootup...and as soon as I start IE, within about 20 seconds..Microsofts Spyware program advises me that Surfsidekick is trying to re-install itself....

ok.. microsoft eh? well thats good it catches it. make sure u hit block! and quarentine it or however u spell im to lazy to look at the moment :D
any how.. as always spybot? adware removal? try those they work wonders! and get z/a and itll block programs like that.

Well Microsoft says it is deleting...but all it does is remove the obvious bits...Ad aware removes nothing...Spyware doctor removes the most, but needs 2 passes to get rid of most but not all of it....and as soon as I start up IE it comes back and I have to start all over again....so it has never been totally removed...

I guess it all depends on how much time ya want to put into this. My friends pc had Daosearch and some other crap that we messed with for 2 days., got the pc running ok but it still wouldn't let us run any spyware programs, really strange. kept cleaning out the registry, etc... Finally got tired of it and Formatted his drive. Re-loaded XP and now his PC's purring. First time I couldn't fix the problem but WTF, He was cool with it.:confused:

Like I said, Just depends how much time you're willing to mess with it. It was my buddies idea to format so it was an easy decison for me. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom