Surfing & Antivirus Update Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartech

In Runtime
Hi.

Few days before, I bought new hard disk and video card, and since I have 80Gb instead of 10Gb I instaled Windows 2000, made all updates (sp4, ie 6, directX 9,etc.). I have ADSL 750kbps internet connection, but since I moved to win2k, browsing became very SLOW and annoying (but I still can download files up to 100KBps). And the second problem, is that I cannot update virus difenitions at Norton Antivirus. First, I installed Norton Systemworks 2003 - can't update, then, I remouved it, and installed Norton Systemworks 2002 - still can't update, I also remouved it, and installed only Norton Antivirus 2002 - still can't do any updates (*note, subscription sevice is OK). Then' I tried to go to their (symantec's) website. But it doesn't loads!!!!, the only site' that I cant enter (it shows "The page cannot be displayed" message). I called my friend, he tryed to enter this site, and had no problems.

I also use ZoneAlarm PRO, but i'm almort sure that it doesn't hte problem.
By the way, when I'm connected, I always see a small internet activity, even if I don't surf, or download something. The programs, wich use internet (I saw it from ZoneAlarm) are:
wsman32.exe
wuam.exe
services.exe
smss32.exe
ccApp.exe
svchost.exe

And after all, here my comp specs: P3 616Mhz (112*5.5) ocercklocked from 550Mhz. 256Mb SDRAM (128+64+64).nVidia GeForce FX 5200 128Mb DDR video card. Creative Vibra 128 sound blaster. Hard disk 80Gb 7200rpm with 8Mb buffer. CD-ROM 56x and CD writer 52x32x52x.

So, I will be very happy if anyone here can halp me to get out of all this web mess.

Thanks.
-AndreiD

search on google for those file names. I found two of them are worms. smss32.exe, wuam.exe.

Sounds like Symantec's Live Up Date Server was down or congested.

If you are having a problem with the Live Update, just manually download the virus updates from Symantec's DOWNLOAD Section.

The only symantec's site I succesed to enter is the australian one.
So I downloaded Vir.defs. After it, antivirus found, that the wuam.exe is worm (like Pentium sad). I deleted it.
It got me back normal and FAST (finally!!!) web browsing, but I still can't run LiveUpdate.
I also thought that symantec has problems on their server, but' I asked people, and no one had problems either entering www.symantec.com, or downloading updates due LiveUpdate.

I tryed to download newer version of LiveUpdate, doesn't help.
I'll try to do anything with smss32.exe, but antivirus, even after update of virus definitions doesn't see any worm/virus in it, is it will be safe to delete it?

well use the Norton Antivirus and you will get much updates in it.daily so try it for a safe computer.

But that is the problem: I CAN'T GET UPDATE, NORTON CANNOT CONNECT TO HIS SERVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, after I've deleted the infected wuam.exe file, I have a different image while trying to access to symantec's homepage (I believe, that I have problem conncting to their server, so, i think if I'll sucess to access their homepage, I'll be able to run liveupdate normaly), so, when I entering their homepage, the log-in message appear, either I press OK or CANCEL I still cannot enter the site, but I recieve diferrent error messages. The screenshots of all these I'll add below.

Maby you can tell me how to fix this f...ing problem? Maby I need to configure anything in internet options....

Anyway thank you.
-AndreiD

P.S. I can't compress image to 51k (the max size forum allows), maby anyone can?

It sounds like you may not have gotten rid of the virus/worm yet since you're unable to connect to the Symantec server. You could try downloading the free version of AVG and running it.

Go here to download AVG.

I use several programs just in case one doesn't completely clean my system.

Dave :D

after reading this i am curious....have you disabled Zone alarm? if you havnt, please do and try again. If you have any other form of firewall / internet filtering program, please disable that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom