Spyware Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirSnake

Baseband Member
Some help would be much appreciated!

Basically I am trying to get a friends computer back on track (id never let mine get quite so bad!) and it is spyware city.

The trouble is that literally no programme is installing let alone running (following osiris's guide I cant get malwarebyte's to work, nor combofix, nor trojan remover etc etc all the way down. Hijack this will also not run.)

The computer is running Xp 32-bit, and I have tried everything in his admin account, both in and out of safe-mode, and creating a new admin account and doing the same, as well as the standard "administrator" in safe-mode.

Curiously I can get malwarebytes to sorta install; it basically gets to the end stage of "finishing installation" (this is not time dependent I left it 30mins and was still stuck) but if I ended the mbam.exe process it would finish installation, but then refuse to update/work.

Literally the only programme I could install (also update, run and scan) is AVG, whereupon the only thing it found was the cryptor virus. It found 18 infected files but could remove only 9 (the 9 remaining were all in the windows directory).

I wish I could provide more infomation but as I say literally nothing is installing or working. In the case of almost everything when I try to run it it just comes up with the bog-standard "programme X has encountered an error [etc etc]".

If anyone has any ideas on how I should proceed I would love to hear them! I am quite frustrated with the whole affair.

Ok so what happens is basically that I can boot from that and start the scan, and it gets about the 3rd of the way in and then stops responding. Again left it (once for an hour but it was still stuck on the same file, just a word file nothing that looks too odd) and tried 3 times but keeps hanging; and since Ive still had no luck installing anything :confused:

Can you go to start, run, type msconfig and press enter. Go to the startup tab and click disable all and then reboot. Then go back in and try to install malwarebytes or hijackthis

Ok I tried that and managed to get malwarebytes installed and updated.

Once I gave it a scan it removed (quite a lot) of stuff.

Basically that seems to have given the system the jolt it needed and everything else in the guide can now be installed and run.

With a bit of luck success is in sight!

Cheers very much :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom