Someone knew my browsing history, what are my options?

Shnook817

Beta member
Hey there. So, I recently came under attack by some scammers. Long story short I was trying to buy something from someone off craigslist and, after extended emails we set up a date for the exchange. The day of he calls and triples the price. I say no way, and then he lays in with the kinda scary stuff. He says he knows I visited certain sites at certain times (torrent sites) and is going to tell the cops I'm pirating movies if I don't pay him the money. I told him to do something nasty. He even had a friend call me back later with a spoofed phone number claiming to be a cop. Told me to wire in my fine and they'd make sure it never showed up on my record.

My question is, how did this guy know my browsing history? I mean, I never downloaded anything at the times he mentioned, but I DID visit the sites he said when he said I visited them. All we'd exchanged was a few emails and I opened a few pictures of the couch I was looking at. What are the different ways he might have done this and is there anything I can do to a) check for and remove anything or b) avoid this in the future? Is my ip not secure enough? Is there a backdoor on my pc now for him to remote view from? I know these things are possible but that's about all. Just looking for some advice.

Thanks.

The pics. There was probably a software hidden on the pics . I have heard of Stuff like that happen b4 to other ppl. Since he had no evidence yout downloaded anything he's the one breaking the law. He illegally hacked your pc and invaded your privacy. If u had a recording of him saying he was looking at your stuff you could probably have his *** tossed on jail. That's a cyber attack. He could have gotten all your pass words hell even adcess your bank info. That **** is so messed up man.

I hope that the end your hear from that guy and yes you need to do some scanning but I wouldn't know since I never been in that situation but we have knowledgeable members that will tell what program to use.

That's really ****ty dude.

Last edited:
As said above, or easier way, the pic zipped? Could contain virus.

However, it could just be A lucky guess.. A lot of people torrent so your always bound to come across someone when scamming who can use that against you.

You say he knew the exact websites? How popular are these websites?

To be on safe side just run some scans

Also, if you got a dyn IP, then nothing to worry about unless their is current malware on your rig.

Pic doesn't even have to be zipped - have also heard of people being able to embed things in images like that (like getting IP info and such...so getting your browsing history for your default browser should be pretty easy).

Firstly, run a scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware (the Free version is fine, you don't need to activate the Pro trial). Scan with it, delete whatever it finds, reboot and post the log here. Download it from here:
https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Secondly, run a scan with AdwCleaner. Same as above, scan with it, delete what it finds, post the log file here. Download from here:
AdwCleaner Download

Thirdly, run a scan with HiJackThis. Run it as Admin, pick the "scan and generate log" option, and then post the logfile here. Do NOT remove ANYTHING unless told to do so, as removing the wrong entry can damage your system. Download it from here:
HiJackThis | SourceForge.net

Pic doesn't even have to be zipped - have also heard of people being able to embed things in images like that (like getting IP info and such...so getting your browsing history for your default browser should be pretty easy).

I know they don't, but it's not common to have code written in pics (at the mo), but I know it's possible.

Most scammer zip them because most people don't think about the danger and also much quicker and easier as I mentioned :cool:

Also, the cops won't give 2 ****s about somebody illegally downloading things off of the internet. The only ones that will be concerned with that will be copyright groups who would contact your ISP, and your ISP would contact you about it.

So just ignore them and if you want, provide any info about them to your PD / the FBI (they have a report cyber security form on their site).

Carnage beat me to the "this" quote, but seriously, the cops are more interested in their crime than you visiting torrent sites.

You have a lot of options.

Contact the local FBI field office and give them the details. You can even arrange the meet, with the feds/or local fuzz waiting to bust the fools. Although, if you've been visiting this site on the same PC, I'm sure they're on to the sham now.

Also, Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | Home is a good resource to file complaints on internet crime like this. Don't get victimized by script kitties looking to score a few dollars.

Back
Top Bottom