Someone got onto my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmillarkat

Baseband Member
Last night after I went to bed, computer all shut down, I got a call from my girlfriend, she asked if I was on Yahooo messenger I said NO was in bed, she said "someone is on under your name ans she was talking to them, well I jumped out of bed turned puter on, didn't go on Yahoo right away, this person acted fairly dumb when my girlfriend talked to her, such as, "this person said How can I talk to you on hre, and whats a "nic"????? anyway I changed pw on all, and the PW I had I DID NOT give to anyone at all, was one no one (well I thought) would know. How can this happen and how can I prevent this in future, if there is away. I also have DSL, don;t know if an Open Port, even if Puter is off can cause problems.

Thanks for any and all help, this really bothers me.

To prevent it again, make sure your password is a good password. By that I mean use uppercase, lowercase, and numbers in your password, and MAKE SURE it's more than 6 letters long (preferably 8 up).
Get a good firewall, like Zone Alarm or sumthin.

Thanks FlashDude,

Thats what I meant essentially they were on my name. How they stole PW is beyond me, it was left no where, but it can happen, I have changed it to make it harder, thanks everyone for your help, I quess in reality there is nothiong iI can do but be pro-active and keep PW changed more often.

Thank you SOULpHIRE,

I did change it and hope this won't happen again, but there is no guarantee, this I know.....

did you save your pw on another random computer when you were using it by accident? like a pc cafe? cuz if you goto a pc cafe and scroll thru the AIM username window, i'd say about 30% has saved pw to them.

How do you know that your girl friend did not do it? I mean she probably knows you well enough to guess your password. :) Dont ask me why she would do it.

I dont think you were targeted specifically. Unless you made an enemy with someone who has "contacts". I think your password was stored somewhere (like the sam file) in a public computer, heck, even on yours! Then a program goes through and spends a set time on each stored password. If yours was short, as in 6 or under, it can be cracked in under a min.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom