A Reply to: The Top Rated Antivirus for 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redmo0n

Techalicious
This is mainly direct to Osiris.

I read through all the articles you posted about the top anti - viruses of 2008 created by 5 different sources.

I have to strongly disagree with this information posted on at least 2 of the view's. I understand that you did not create this and the topic is posted to inform people of the best anti -viruses through a number of sources (non biased), and the reason for doing so is to help people and to stop the same topics being made over and over.

But in doing this, i think that it will give incorrect information to users that are "new" or "newb" on anti - viruses that are not the best and are certainly not recommended.

This post, though, is not intended to bad mouth you or the sites that posted there anti - virus reviews, which for them may have worked wonderfully.

Here though are my recommendations for anti - viruses.

Avg Free - It's an excellent anti - virus and it is free.

Avast - No personal use, but have been told to be on par or even better than avg.

Nod32 - You have to pay for it, but probably the best anti - virus there is.

Well whose to say what's the best?

I can take your post and add it as a 5th review/another source as another recommendation.

Which 2 don't you agree with?

The problem is that these articles from sources are getting kickbacks from companies. I mean look at PCWorld. They preach Norton when we all know Norton is the worst. Can not tell me PCWorld is not getting kickbacks from them.

The articles just like this topic is all personal preference. You say AVG is good. But i have had issues with it crashing my XP isntall. While Avast Home version is the same as the Pro version without 1 service. So while it is free you get the same protection as if you bought it.

Honestly i think just a advisory post about which Anti-Viruses to avoid would be better than trying to link to articles which are the best. Some people swear by Kaspersky.

Like i said. I think a advisory about the use of Norton, McAfee would be better. Who know what kind of kickback some of these places are getting for saying what they say.

Either that or hold a poll. See what users think is hte Best AV. Have the Poll be stickied. That way people can stop by and see what the users think is the best and some reasons why.

Well imo one of the worst anti - viruses is aviara due to the fact that half the time it deletes an infection it comes back and also because is sore regular applications as viruses.

EDIT: oh and i was going to add Kaspersky to the list but i couldn't remember if it was free or payed (isn't it a 30 day trail then pay??)

The problem is that these articles from sources are getting kickbacks from companies. I mean look at PCWorld. They preach Norton when we all know Norton is the worst. Can not tell me PCWorld is not getting kickbacks from them.

The articles just like this topic is all personal preference. You say AVG is good. But i have had issues with it crashing my XP isntall. While Avast Home version is the same as the Pro version without 1 service. So while it is free you get the same protection as if you bought it.

Honestly i think just a advisory post about which Anti-Viruses to avoid would be better than trying to link to articles which are the best. Some people swear by Kaspersky.

exactly, take a look at McAfee Siteadvisor, probably the most biased SiteAdvisor, for instance, take a look at its Yellow Rating for PCMAG.com (PC Magazine's site) and then they put it yellow rated for "spam" because they put their rating on one of their products low because of some of the free stuff out there

but your right Mak, this is just pure personal opinion, to know what's best you have to force a PC to get a spyware infection, with the same specs and see what removes the most

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom