removing programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

slimcan

Baseband Member
Took the advise of this forum and removed a bad program that was causing IE to get pop up. It was called context tools. However, I did see the folder was still in c drive programs. I removed that folder also.

Is there a program out there that will completely removed a program? It seems there is more to removing programs then just one click.........

The add/remove programs in XP pr now labeled Programs and Features in Vista is using Windows to remove programs there. But depite even having a regular uninstaller you often see folders left behind and even leftovers to be found in the system registry itself.

There is no one program that can remove a program completely. But you can just uninstall it and run some more checks to make sure it's gone.

Ok ....I see now. I was doing it right then. I deleted the program then went to c drive then programs folder. In the program folder you always see the folder of whatever you deleted. I always remove the junk but keep it on a disk just in case the computer acts up.

It depends on what program you install too. Some will clean everything including folders and registry entires while others leave the folder in order to preserve things like game saves and personal settings for games or apps installed. Often you will see the value of having a good registry cleaner onhand to automatically cleanup what some programs leave behind there.

CCleaner is a freeware that will do the same thing as far as cleaning up useless temp folders as well as cleaning out the IE history and offline content. Others like RegCleaner and RegSeeker have automatic registry cleanup tools in those.

But caution is advised whenever you start making changes in the registry itself especially manual edits you perform. That is more of a task for the advanced user there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom