Rapid Spontaneous Windows and settings changes? What's Happening to my PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLyon32

Beta member
I am new here in search of some assistance. This is what I am experiencing:

Suddenly multiple dialog boxes and system settings windows will pop up and disappear very quickly. It almost as if someone is running some kind of predetermined script using the hotkeys or something. This normally lasts about 5 seconds then it stops. I have used number of antivirus programs including bitdefender, kaspersky, and zonealarm. I recently formatted my hard drive and reinstalled XP. It happened again less than one day after the clean start.

So I have two questions: 1. What the **** is going on with my computer? 2. What are the steps I can take to ensure that my PC isn't being used as a drone by hackers? I'm using ZoneAlarm security suite, Webroot, and Ad-aware.

Well, the first thing you have to do is get rid of zonealarm, that is going to cause you more problems than it will solve. There are very few antiviruses I actually like, one of the ones I like at the moment is OneCare, though it isn't the best protection, it doesn't screw around with your system like the others do, another one is Avast, this is especially good for computers running 64bit. Next thing you have to do is do some sort of online scan to get what is on your computer off, if this doesn't get it off, you will have to search up the removal steps to remove each individual virus. You can also try support lines such as PCSafety.

If he did a complete reinstall of windows, I'm assuming wiped the file system, which would get rid of any viruses, unless he had another partition wher the virus was. I dunno, maybe I'm overlooking something, this seems realy weird.

You could also try a repair install, to imunize your system files, then run a scan for the source file and delete that file and related items. This would also solve the problem, aside from the other steps I've provided, a full formate and reinstall will work as well, depending on the virus of course you may have to debug the drive and blow the partitions. you may also want to try HiJackThis, but this tool is dangerous and doesn't always work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom