questions about antispyware apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobLewiston

In Runtime
I have some questions about antispyware apps:

1. I know you're not supposed to run 2 antivirus apps at once, but that you CAN run 2 scanner-only antispyware apps at once. But should you not run 2 real-time-protection antispyware apps at once?

2. Other than the fact that spyware "spies", just what is the difference between a virus and a spyware app? In other words, why can you run one antivirus app at the same time as a real-time-protection antispyware app?

3. Do all antispyware that offer real-time protection constantly run in the background to prevent the installation of malware, whenever an attempt is made to open a file or launch an application? Do they all also offer manual and/or scheduled system scans?

4. Does Comodo AntiVirus + Firewall include antispyware functionality?

5. Does Spyware Terminator include antivirus functionality?

I have some questions about antispyware apps:

1. I know you're not supposed to run 2 antivirus apps at once, but that you CAN run 2 scanner-only antispyware apps at once. But should you not run 2 real-time-protection antispyware apps at once?

2. Other than the fact that spyware "spies", just what is the difference between a virus and a spyware app? In other words, why can you run one antivirus app at the same time as a real-time-protection antispyware app?

3. Do all antispyware that offer real-time protection constantly run in the background to prevent the installation of malware, whenever an attempt is made to open a file or launch an application? Do they all also offer manual and/or scheduled system scans?

4. Does Comodo AntiVirus + Firewall include antispyware functionality?

5. Does Spyware Terminator include antivirus functionality?

Hmm I'm not so pr0 at answering these questions but I'll see what I can do:

1. Main reason people say not to run 2 AVs (Anti-Viruses) or AS (Anti-Spyware) is because there have a nature to conflict with each other.

2. Yes you can run an AV and an AS. Spying is the main difference, some AV(s) and AS(s) come bundled together or with a fee. AV(s) protect mainly against viruses/trojans/worms while the AS(s) protects mainly against spyware and malware.

3. You have to look around, as different products offer different stuff. "Company A" may offer those stuff for free while "Company B" may require you to pay and get those features unlocked. Most AS(s) provide manual or scheduled scans. As for real time protection, you're most likely not to get hit by spyware or malware as it mostly needs your interaction to get it going, so once you have your mind open to these attacks I don't think you would need real-time protection.

4. AV + Firewall doesn't necessary mean you would get the AS function. As I said some software come in packages so you get all, but it's not mandatory.

5. As for Spyware Terminator, I'm not sure as I never used the program but the website states yes.
Spyware Terminator has included the popular award winning open-source antivirus, Clam AntiVirus (ClamAV), for optional integration to achieve a higher level of security. ClamAV can be integrated into spyware scans, updates and the real-time protection.
Key Features of Spyware Terminator - Free spyware removal tool

Edit: Combo I use right now is: NOD32 (AV), Malwarebytes (AS/Anti-malware) and COMODO (Firewall). Also use Microsoft Security Essentials on the other PCs as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom