question on mp3 viruses

Status
Not open for further replies.

homerj14

In Runtime
hey guys i had a question can viruses be spread through downloading of mp3s through clients such as the bit torrent Client.. No I don't use this program but was just wondering..

mp3 cannot carry virus , mp3´s are always virus free.

im pretty sure.

watch out for certain Video files that automatically download "licenses",,thats dangerous.. certain video files, but not mp3.

Actually they can..depending on how the MP3 is packed and what player your using to play the file. For example if you play mp3s on realone or wmp, the mp3 can contain links to webpages--these webpages can sock you with a hostile script etc and force a download of trojans, worms/virus's, and spyware.

There's also been a few MP3's..that when download...the icon appears as a VBS Script Icon. If you double click or try to play the file before taking notice of it's icon...it launchs the "colombia virus"

Just beware of any MP3's that are packed in SFX, RAR, EXE, or Zip files..as these increase your risk of a virus when the archive is unpacked.

omg!

yeah, but if a mp3 is in .mp3 format?, not on .exe or ,sfx..
u say there are files on .mp3 format with virus?
what is it..like a 2% of p2p mp3?

http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/2001/virus.html

.MP3's cannot have a virus--nor can they link to a web page. The tag could have a field with a link, but it will never execute itself.

And for videos, well I'm not totally sure, but even if/when they do load hostile scripts--well, just make sure your default browser doesn't execute those possibly-dangerous scripts without your permission, to be safe...

yeah Xula, gj , i knew mp3 couldnt carry virus, i always think Mp3 are the safest files to download.

how to make sure my default browser doesnt exec those?
the firewall does something to this?

-in Vids, i ve seen 2 dangerous things:
.open vid, then a web page opens
.open vid..automatic license downloading, or "security" file (windowsmedia)
is there a way to prevent this?

yes they can have a virus, heres how it works as i know cuz i have worked with such and put a keylogger onto an mp3 before.

its mainly about the hidden extension, if you could see it it would look like this **.mp3.exe or **.jpg.exe or any of those executable extensions.

one of the tricks of packign is using wordpad, you copy the file into wordpad and change a setting in wordpad then copy back and turns it into a scrap file, from there you change the icon and go from there..but thats a basic on how its packed i'm not going into more details

when executed the hidden exe file is detached and if its not too large you will have no clue it was executed, i tried it quite a few times on my computer using a keylogger to experiement with, there were a few times it wouldnt execute but for the most part you should have hide file extensions in windows unchecked.

the extension is hidden by default, there have been other less documented tricks too that are more severe but unlikely less a knowledgable person targets you

ohh...

hum..tricky, i see..well then..the best way to protect against that sort of trick is to have the win option to see the extensions of files right? then that allows u to see ur downloading .mp3.exe?

(ps. Why would u experiment with keyloggers n mp3 ? ,u nasty dude)

i wouldnt say that, theres another trick if i remember correctly as its been a while, if you write a longer file name like *billybobscountryhoedown.mp3.exe* you still wont see the extension just to look at the file...i think that was how it worked i cant remember really but i think it just has to be an exact number of characters untill the hidden extension isnt viewable in explorer.

this can also apply to any file type, a picture or text file.this is mostly kinda oldschool and i dont believe its very effective means anymore, afew years ago this was the shiznit in the hacker community but now i think rootkits are.
a good av should alert you to the extension.
also something like ms antispy which monitors any changes to your pc will alert you, so if you click on an mp3 and suddenly msantispy says a file is trying to load in registry or whatever you can click no and be happy :bald:

software and common knowledge has come a long way in last 2 years, most know about spyware and use firewalls, updates..etc but still people fall for the same old tricks sometimes, thats why i always recommend a monitor program like whats built into ms antispy so it alerts you to any changes, just pay attention to the alerts, if in doubt click no. same with firewall. dont open attachments in email...etc and stay away from those sites that have downloadable cartoons and such, those are rampant with viruses for some reason, download from reputable sites that say all files have been virus checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom