Protection & Prevention: Spyware Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Fully Optimized
In an effort to help with the security issues that computer users face today while surfing on the internet, this thread has been started to give information of various spyware programs.

Tech-Forums is providing this listing as a service and is not soliciting, nor endorsing, any program.

About this thread:
  • This thread is closed to prevent "clutter". New posts will be added to this thread by the admins or mods.
  • Various programs will be added in separate posts.
  • If you want to see a particular program added to the list, please PM me, or this forum's mods.
  • If you have pertinent information that should be included in a post, please PM me, or this forum's mods, with that info.
  • If you have a write-up for a particular program, you may PM it to me, or this forum's mods, for inclusion at a later date. Be sure to use the format as shown.
  • If you would like to rate the program using the criteria and scale used in the write-ups, you can PM them to me and they will be included in the rating system. (The rating will show how many users have submitted their ratings, and the average ratings.)
  • If you happen to be here when this thread is open, please do NOT post in it. It will be deleted.

Please check back as more programs are added! Thanks.

Dave :D

Ad-Aware

Name: Ad-Aware by LavaSoft
Genre: Spyware Remover - multicomponent detection and removal utility
URL: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Versions: Free and Pro
Products: Ad-Aware SE, Ad-Aware Plus SE, Ad-Adaware Professional SE.
Synopsis: LavaSoft was founded in Germany in the 1990s. Two years later it was incorporated with the main office in Sweden. It now has a worldwide presence as one of the top sypware removers. The main focus of the company is to develop quality anti-trackware programs to keep your computer or network free of compromising and intrusive threats to your privacy.

Once downloaded and installed, the Ad-Aware interface is easy to use. It's functionality includes detection and elimination of spyware. When spyware is found, the user can quarantine and delete it. Other basic functionality includes:
  • Status Center
  • Plug-ins including HexDump, Explorer, Message-Control, and others (depending on edition)
  • Ad-Watch (Active & Automatic - logs and prevents suspicious activities while surfing)
  • Process Watch (monitors and logs computer processes)
  • Online updates
  • Other (depending on edition)

Ratings (3 Users):
  • Interface looks 5, great looks with lots of features, everything is just a button or link away.
  • Ease of use 4.33, from scanning to updating, it's simple to find and use what you want.
  • Ability to discover & prevent problems 4.5, finds most spyware in a relatively quick manner.
  • Ease of eliminating problems 5, spyware can be quarantined, and then eliminated.
  • Use of Resources 4.66, not an extreme usuage of system resources but may cause some slowness.
  • Support 4, updates can be downloaded and installed upon demand. I have not needed tech support.
  • Overall 4.37,
Rating System: 1=poor,2=okay, 3=average, 4=good, 5=excellent

Ad-Aware has been very reliable and may be one of the best known/used spyware detectors and eliminators. It also works well with other spyware detector programs. It's Ad-Watch and Process Watch are great additions to this program.

Note: Ad-Aware 6 will no longer be supported. Be sure to upgrade to SE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom