Pop ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceeren

Baseband Member
Just a quick question, When a pop up comes up, or I click on it, are there any ways to get a virus? I have avg and it has the website blocker, but i still want to know. And if it can, what are ways to be protected from this, because I do find a lot of sites with tons of pop ups that my browser (Firefox) is blocking. Also, can a website be downloading something onto my computer when I'm on the website?

In order to get a virus on your computer, you have to run a program. That's how the bad guys infect you — by tricking you into running a program. So the answer is no, you cannot get a virus by just BEING on a website. However, if you click a link, it could very well be a direct link to an executable file. If you click that, boom! You're infected. Unless of course your anti-virus program protects you. Everyone needs a decent anti-malware program. If you want a free one, I highly recommend AVG Free.

In order to get a virus on your computer, you have to run a program. That's how the bad guys infect you — by tricking you into running a program. So the answer is no, you cannot get a virus by just BEING on a website. However, if you click a link, it could very well be a direct link to an executable file. If you click that, boom! You're infected. Unless of course your anti-virus program protects you. Everyone needs a decent anti-malware program. If you want a free one, I highly recommend AVG Free.

OH yes you can

You most certainly CAN get a virus just from visiting a website.

Antivirus 2009 and it's varients are one of the big culiprits of this.

Even with 2 anti-viruses running (MSE and Malware Bytes) I was still vulnerableto this. Which is why anti-virus programs are not replacements for safe surfing. And even more so, they didn't even pick it up, had to manually remove that biatch.

To the OP: If using FireFox their are some good addons for Ad Blockers and my all time favorite Flash Blocker. But still no substitute for safe surfing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom