Please Please Help Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConorOberst<3

Beta member
Hey everyone

Ok basically I am totally new here, and I just have an important question and I need some feedback from people who know what they're talking about. Sorry if its a dumb question.

Ok so I was in an AIM chat room last night with my two friends and this jerk who was being evil to one of them. The jerk then did some funky thing and said he got our IPs. I guess he was ticked off cause we were sticking up for our friend.

Later that night one of my friends who was in the chat said that he got a few freaky popups and Norton was giving him some notice, so the jerk wasn't kidding about getting our IPs.

So heres my question(s):

Is it a fairly easy thing for someone to get your IP through IM? I am just wondering this because I want to figure out how hardcore this kid is, if hes just like some wannabe hacker or if he actually knows what hes doing.

I have Norton, will that block intruders? I have windows firewall, but I checked to see if it was on this morning and it wasn't (I don't know why, my dad probobly turned it off). I turned it back on now, but I am worried that he got into my computer last night without me knowing.

I am currently running a virus scan, but I am more worried that he would have been looking at some private information. Is there any way to tell if someone has accessed your computer?

I am a little freaked out because I really don't know what this guy is capable of doing... the good news is that my friend knows exactly who he is... at least I think thats a good thing.... so coincidentally, how does one report something like this?

I would really really really appreciate it if you guys could give me some feedback on this whole thing, whether it be to answer my questions or to just tell me what you think of the whole situation.

Sorry for the bit of teenage drama involved, I just felt the need to give some backstory :p

Thank you :)

He's full of it. The only I can think of to get someones IP address thru AIM, which it does work cuz ive done it before, it when you are sending a file to him, he performs a tracert while you are sending it. This worked on msn a long time ago but not anymore so he is just pulling your chain. It's just a coincidence that you have some spyware on your machine and all Norton is doing is alerting you of icoming ICP and out going which is normal. If he says he has it, do an IPCONFIG on your machine, find out what your IPaddress is, then tell him to tell you what it is.

Some more possible ways are:

IP Sniffing, WHOIS

But you need to have a direct connection to their computer still

When you have a connection established (example: sending a song or image file to someone else) open your MS-DOS window and type netstat -a or netstat -n
This will list all current connections, their host names and IP addresses

Thank you very much!

I am still a bit concerned though, cause it seems like a weird coincidence.

And let me be more specific about what he did...

He kept saying "hang on, hang on, almost got it" and we didn't know what he was talking about... and then suddenly, all at once, like a bunch of smilies and weird symbols popped up.

But it was like all in multiple IMs, you know?

Like it was like

Bob: :) :) :)
Bob: ajgbalblarbg
Bob:8475-48237

but all of it happened in the same second, which seems fishy.

But I will definitely do he stuff that you told me, thank you very much :)

Yup... like it was IM smilies, but lots of them, then the next message had some weird font and stuff, and the next couple ones too

All at once

that aint nothing at all.....I beleive you dont have nothing to worry about. I can do that with ASCII Characters using a program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom