Osiris Spyware Scanner Download Beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Osiris,

This seems like a fine tool and I think if you give it some time this will climb up to new heights in the malware removal community. If we can look over the code you may put thought into submitting the tool for CORE registration development. (More information on CORE may be found in my signature).

Just some questions after this:

So the tool we call Osiris SS, is just an Auto Scanner? Does it produce a log? How much data will it hold on current infections, and how many files will you be adding to its scanner?

If you place to many files on it, it will turn more into an anti-spyware/anti-virus with no real guard. If that's what your going after maybe you should switch thought on what this software will be doing ;)

I will take a look over the source code and report back on what more it could have. I actually have my own specialized tools under development. One of them is a Lop Removal Tool.

Kind Regards,
Techpro5238

Hello Osiris,

I have run your program and I have a bit of constructive criticisms. :)

I will just list them in numbering as this will ease me of writing paragraphs.

----------------------------------------

1. Free Compilation - At the beginning of the program I had seen a warning at the top showing that you compiled it with a free program. It does not look professional to have advertising in your batch script

2. Coding Professionalism - Your program is fine for what it does .. but, the coding could be a bit better. If I had to guess at the source code, it runs a pause command then ends a few processes and runs the del command. Afterwards it will just report it couldn't find the file.

Maybe you should try using the IF EXIST and ELSE commands to ease all those del commands. Repetition in a spyware scanner is sort of annoying for analysts.

3. Logs - In the analyst field where we do not just analyze HJTs (as they give the less of all information that any log gives) we need logs to understand the computers we work with.

I believe your program should create a log of its own. If you need any assistance with getting it to create a log, feel free to send a PM over to me.

4. Usage and Copyrighting - Like I said in my last post, you need to direct exactly what this tool does.

Will it just be a scanner and remove malware? If so, it should just be an anti-spyware or anti-virus. In that way, you should code it in C, C++, or Delphi. If not, you should have it do a bit more than just scan such as resetting system entries or something to that effect.

On the Copyrighting note, if you are going to put more work into this program you should copyright it so no others can steal your database list. Also, if this is a GNU program, why can't I see the source code :D.

If you could host the main batch code, then I could look over the source and see what the program actually tasks.

What I lastly recommend, is you look at one of the tools that were professionally created such as ComboFix or S!ris Smitfraudfix. SMF, to my knowledge was created fully in batch scripts.

Feel free to comment back on my constructive criticism.

Kind Regards,
Techpro5238 ;)

Hello Osiris,

I have run your program and I have a bit of constructive criticisms. :)

I will just list them in numbering as this will ease me of writing paragraphs.

----------------------------------------

1. Free Compilation - At the beginning of the program I had seen a warning at the top showing that you compiled it with a free program. It does not look professional to have advertising in your batch script

2. Coding Professionalism - Your program is fine for what it does .. but, the coding could be a bit better. If I had to guess at the source code, it runs a pause command then ends a few processes and runs the del command. Afterwards it will just report it couldn't find the file.

Maybe you should try using the IF EXIST and ELSE commands to ease all those del commands. Repetition in a spyware scanner is sort of annoying for analysts.

3. Logs - In the analyst field where we do not just analyze HJTs (as they give the less of all information that any log gives) we need logs to understand the computers we work with.

I believe your program should create a log of its own. If you need any assistance with getting it to create a log, feel free to send a PM over to me.

4. Usage and Copyrighting - Like I said in my last post, you need to direct exactly what this tool does.

Will it just be a scanner and remove malware? If so, it should just be an anti-spyware or anti-virus. In that way, you should code it in C, C++, or Delphi. If not, you should have it do a bit more than just scan such as resetting system entries or something to that effect.

On the Copyrighting note, if you are going to put more work into this program you should copyright it so no others can steal your database list. Also, if this is a GNU program, why can't I see the source code :D.

If you could host the main batch code, then I could look over the source and see what the program actually tasks.

What I lastly recommend, is you look at one of the tools that were professionally created such as ComboFix or S!ris Smitfraudfix. SMF, to my knowledge was created fully in batch scripts.

Feel free to comment back on my constructive criticism.

Kind Regards,
Techpro5238 ;)

Bout time I got some feedback :D

Question 1 - The program is not free that I used to convert the batch file to an .exe. I was going to "purchase" it when it was finished so thats why you see that there.

Question 2 - I'm not such a good coder, hence why It's just simple batch file commands. Thou I do agree this would run much faster if it was coded in C++, etc.

Question 3 - Still working on generating a log for what it finds/deletes.

Question 4 - I can add that :cool:

So what are you coding in for your tool?

Do you actually live in the Bronx?

What does that mean? I do live in the Bronx. Why, is there a problem? You know, not everybody from the Bronx is stupid :D.

Sorry if that was not what you were going for, but yes I do.

(If it's because of my English, it's because I have been working with many Aussies and people from the UK for about two years now)

So what are you coding in for your tool?

I am coding my tool in C++, C, and Batch. The batch will call on the EXEs I compiled with my compiler.

Kind Regards,
Techpro5238

Sorry for the double post.

Also, maybe you should try just leaving it in batch form. Just tell people to run the main batch script.

Also, instead of storing in the RAR format, zip it in the ZIP Archive Format. Not everyone will have WinRar ;)

I did some testing with the "IF" command and it doesn't work like the /f /a /s /q switches.

When I made 6 .txt files in separte areas, it only deleted them from the desktop.

When I used the /f /a /s /q it deleted them from all locations. Using "IF" seems to delete the files faster but /f /a /s /q searches the whole harddrive which takes longer.

So do you have a faster method? I want to keep file locations down to a minimum. I'd have tp specify file locations with the "IF" command

Osiris, is it common for it to, while in the middle of a scan, ask you to "Insert your Microsoft XP Disk 2"? I had that dialogue box come up twice. I hit yes to replace the fileskeep the scan running, I have an OS CD still, but I am still a little concerned at these files that were replaced. could they have been damaged? working on the rest of my clean using your guide. I must say this though. thanks for your hard work in compiling all this information and the information in your spyware removal guide. it's been infinately helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom