Opinions on Prevx1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crickmail.cet57

Baseband Member
By request of DMo224, I'm opening this thread in order to receive any feedback, opinions or downright slatings of Prevx1 - all points of view welcome!

I'll not hide the fact that I'm a big fan of Prevx1 (have been a member of their beta programme for the last 12months) and it has quickly become my weapon of choice for cleaning and removing all kinds of stubborn malware infections from friends and family's PCs (as well as keeping me safe from them in the first place).

They also have a very useful "File Research" facility available on their website, which regularly returns a positive result if no information is available via Google (e.g. EFCDAYX.DLL as researched in a recent thread).

Prevx1 is a pay-for program, but they do offer a fully functional free trial for at least 32 days which will remove any infections free of charge during this period.

Well I'll not provide any further (biased ;)) opinions, therefore will leave the floor open to you.

Many thanks,

Chris

I will give it thumbs up to, as it got rid of my malware (EFCDAYX.DLL), you dont have to buy it to use it aswell, u can just download the free trial when you are in a spot of bother! Brill program

An interesting article on Prevx1 which claims Antivirus are dead as we know them!?

http://prweb.com/releases/2007/1/prweb499085.htm

The two interesting points for me which I have seen first hand over the last few months are:

"Prevx nodes are collecting nearly 100,000 unique malware variants monthly - an order of magnitude more than McAfee collects"

and

"Prevx Finds Rootkit 10 Days before McAfee, 13 Days before Symantec"

I've often been under the impression that Prevx is finding files quicker than other security vendors and it's nice to have that confirmed of sorts... :)

Only because your a beta tester for it lol and maybe even work for them :p so you are going to be biased. I have used prevx its good I do admit and the free trial allowing to scan is nice too.

Most anti viruses don't bother looking for rootkits there are special rootkit software packages, that do that anyway some made by the likes of F-secure and AVG.

prevx always came across as more of a spyware software remover than anti virus unless they have changed?

I would also argue the numbers in the definitions are not important, mcafee have plenty but iv used their software and it doesn't find most of the unknown hard to remove viruses or malware. Symantec corp edition 10 has a very high success rate though and I do trust that better than any others at just finding viruses and trojans.

I`ll look into prevx1 more though I plan to try a few more unknown anti virus kits to see how they perform. I would do some sort of test analysis but no idea if i want to put "dummy" viruses on my comp to test in case I do actually get infected :).

baronvongogo said:
Only because your a beta tester for it lol and maybe even work for them :p so you are going to be biased.
Yep - I'm trying to cut back on the blatantly biased opinions ;)

Don't worry, I'm not saying this is the "be and end all" of security products (I still favour a layered approach to security just to play it safe) but it's definitely a good product even though still in its infancy as mentioned previously.

Cricket, I used it per your suggestion, but there still some issues that remained. I'd say it works best in conjunction with other programs, not as an end-all, be-all. But then again, what is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom