Not sure if this is the right board to post in, but I'm having troubles making backup DVDs

boogiediamondz

Beta member
Im trying to make back up DVDs so I can factory restore my computer without losing everything. I am trying to copy files, and their size is definitly less than the 4.7 gb of my single layer DVDs.But when I try to move it over to the DVD, it tells me that I need an extra two gbs of space. What give's man? I just dont understand why its thinking my files are bigger on the DVD than they are on my computer.
If you can offer a solution, I will be infinitely greatful (other than sizing off my files into smaller chunks)
and If I can avoid downloading a program to do so, I would really really apreciate that. Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use a third party program to make a restore disk for your system. I use one called R-Disk and for Windows 7 it takes 3 dvd's to make a complete restore set of disks. If you just backing up data then you can left click on the folder you want and select properties from the pop up box, that should tell you the size of the folder. There are hidden files that may be taking up more space than you think. you can un-hide these files to see what your putting on the disk

R-Disk is not free but maybe someone can suggest another free software that can make restore dvd disks for you.
You can try Easus ToDo but I'm not sure if it can back up to a dvd or not
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software-features.htm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom