Norton Securities 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdcfan18

Beta member
i have a small problem with norton securities 2005. i installed it about a week ago and it ws running fine. two days ago i got limewire and started downloading. now, securities will run in the system tray (bottom right corner of screen) then the icon will disapear along with a bunch of other ones. this never happened before! i opened norton and it said that everything is fine and the background was green (people that have norton will know what i mean) and it said everything was running. i did the ctrl+alt+delete and looked in processes and it said that ccApp.exe (im told this is norton) was running. is there something worng with the icon disappearing? is my system still safe when its gone? anyone got any info? let me know

thanks
sdcfan18

Your system is still safe. What are you using Norton Securities for anyways? Are you using XP? ccap.exe is indeed Norton and there should be a couple more usually. This application will slow your system down quite a bit. You need to make sure it is configured properly, let limewire have access to the net and such. You can just use XP's firewall, IE's pop up blocker set to maximum, get zone alarm firewall for free which is a lot easier to config. for most people.

I agree with you Warez Monster, Norton is basically too resource intensive and in your face all the time, I personally will not use it for that exact reason.

Norton does an excellent job of virus protection, and I think it might be considered a good tool for someone that could use some aid in proactive online security.

Zone alarm is an excellent free firewall, and as with any online activity, a firewall is a must these days.

I personally do not run a software firewall, I only use the hardware firewall in my router.

A friend of mine is always paranoid about the firewall situation. He runs zone alarm and is also behind a hardware firewall on his router. I tell him this is not neccessary, but he feels safer that way he says, lol.

I also use NIS 2005, and sdcfan, I have the same problem. The taskbar /windows explorer seems to "shut down" once in a while and when everything comes back on the screen, the Norton icon, along with almost all other icons, disappear although they are still running in the background. I've been having this problem for a long time now and I don't think it has anything to do with NIS05. I get a lot of windows expl error messages and error reporting for some reason too, can't understand it...

Your computer is still protected, if you look in the start/programs window and open up NIS, it pops up the main screen and everything is fine. Same with all the other programs. For instance I use protowall and if that icon disappears and I try to open it again, it won't let me because it says "an instance of protowall is already running". Therefore the programs are ok, just not visible from the taskbar. I know its annoying, but I just log off and then log back on half the time.

Anyone have a solution for this? why does windows explorer quit on us so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom