Norton Removal problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumblebee Tuna

In Runtime
First off, Norton is an abomination from ****. Now, on to the problem. I can not remove NAV from from friends notebook. I get an error stating instopts.dat is missing. Now i've gone to symantecs website, and followed the instructions on how to remove it. Unfortunately, when I restart the notebook, NAV is still in the ad/removed programs folder, and when I try uninstalling it then, it still gives me the same error. I've tried installing a fresh copy, and I get a different error. Both errors send me to the same page, and the removal tool does jack. Anyone with suggestions?

If I remember correctly. It needs to have a certain program running to be removed, that's not available in safe mode. I ended up having to remove it from the registry to get rid of it. It still won't install. I'm informing them they need to do a reinstall. Nothing is now showing up in Device Manager. I can't connect to the internet, in safe mode with networking. I can't install anything, or remove anything that is installed. I've tried running some repairs and diagnostics, but they haven't helped. All I know is that they had a tonne of viruses and spyware on the notebook, and it didn't even have Service Pack 1 installed. It's back to the drawing board with this puppy I think. Unless you can think of something else.

I can certainly try that. But some OEM versions don't allow you to do that specific windows repair; and if there's still a virus of some kind in there I'd be a little hesitant on doing a repair. I can back up their documents and stuff, but I think on this occasion, a full install would be better, just to be safe. There are just too many hokey things going on with this one.

heres one out of the bag

Norton Removal Tool 1.20.4 symNRT

Norton Removal Tool description

SymNRT is a program that can remove some Norton software from your computer. SymNRT runs on Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows 2000, and Windows XP.

SymNRT should be used only if you have tried to uninstall the Norton program using Windows Add/Remove Programs and that did not work.

I don't like Norton either, I think it's an abomination. Thanks for the link talldude. I stick pretty close to what was on the 5 step process, and it gave me a few other tools to use. We can always use more programs to fight off the nasties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom