Norton Reinstall Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDavis

Beta member
Ok. I purchased Norton Systemworks 2005 a few months ago. It hasn't worked right since I installed it. I'v uninstalled and reinstalled, and this last time I uninstalled it won't let me reinstall. I get an error message that says...

"SETUP REQUIREMENT CHECK - Setup has detected that a previous Install or Uninstall has been required but requires a restart. Please restart your computer then launch setup again."

I've rebooted a number of times. I've tried the old "SYMClean" utility, it sees nothing on my drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Stacey...

I, too, have experienced innumerable problems while installing or un-installing NAV. Why does it have to happen so often?? I haven,t heard or myself experienced any problem with any other anti-virus.

2. Are there any precautions we are required to take while doing so??

You need to see if the NAV folder is still on your C: drive. If so, delete it, then go and search the registry for entires left behind by NAV.

I can understand deleting NAV folder but how do we search and delete registry entries?? It sounds too risky!!

ntechie, it is if you've never done it before but not impossible. It's called a regedit. And you do it slowly and carefully and do it on both the word symantec and norton for anything relating to Norton. Also there is another place you have to check as well.

Not only do you need to do a regedit but also this:
Open Device manager and from the View menu option,click Show hidden devices. You should now see another entry called Non-Plug and Play Drivers.Click the + sign and see if there are any Norton things listed there,if so,disable or uninstall them.

To do a regedit follow these instructions: How to back up, edit, and restore the registry in Windows XP

Follow this:

Go to START, RUN, type REGEDIT, click OK
Go to FILE, EXPORT, type in REG BACKUP, then click SAVE.
Next go to EDIT, then FIND, type in NAV, Norton, Norton Antivirus, Antivirus, Symantec, Symantec Antivirus, etc. When regedit finds an entry, read the entry first before deleting it, then delete it, go back to EDIT, or if the windows is still open, just click FIND NEXT and it will find another. You might be doing this for a while so be patient.

ntechie said:
I, too, have experienced innumerable problems while installing or un-installing NAV. Why does it have to happen so often?? I haven,t heard or myself experienced any problem with any other anti-virus.

2. Are there any precautions we are required to take while doing so??
I've not had these problems with NAV, nor Norton System Works. The installation of SystemWorks 2005 has a step that will uninstall the older versions of it and the AV. It has worked well for me (and others that I've helped with it).

The installation of most AVs will tell you the precautions that you need to take when installing. Some of those precautions may be making sure that other AVs are not running during installation, or that certain programs like Outlook or Outlook Express (for example) are not running.

Stacey, how's your problem now?

Dave :D

Still no luck. I've removed all the folders, but haven't been thrugh the registery log yet. Same silly message that I need to reboot.

I had the same problem When I installed NAV 2004 and Norton firewall 2004 , when I ininstalled The firewall and reinstalled it It says no privileges rights so I cannot configure any more thisfirewall, so I deleted all the registry entries that Norton site talled me too, but it still didn't work (Isuspect because files are shared between NAV and FW) I'm a bit disapointed Norton copies so many things everywhere in registry and has nothing to delete them- uninstall never works propely) It is a good antivirus but it has a lot of work to do on the helpdesk side.
I also find it hads a code in my html page when I clikc source (security prevention but without asking me if I want this code in my page)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom