Norton Internet Security 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

infowarrior45

Baseband Member
Has anybody tried Norton Internet Security 2009? The reviews seem to be much more positive this year. I could instead get something like Eset Smart Security Suite, or Nod 32 and Zone Alarm.

Do I actually need a firewall? Can I run a stand alone antivirus by one company and a stand alone firewall from another at the same time? I have Windows Vista Ultimate.

Thanks!
infowarrior45

I still avoid Norton like the plague. I love my ESS and won't go to anything else.

If you have a hardware firewall, then a software firewall isn't needed. But if you don't have a hardware f/w, then a software one is recommended. The Windows one built-in is decent..but doesn't give you as much control as an aftermarket firewall would.

Yes you can run an AV from one company and a FW from another company if you wish. I did so with Nod32 and Comodo firewall for a while, but then just switched to ESS.

For some reason (I have no Idea why) Norton has always gotten so called great reviews.. its a virus creators best friend. So if you're looking to host a Worm and Trojen Farm then Norton is the AV program of choice.. other wise try Avast or AVG 8 or later.

and yes you could use any firewall in combo with any AV as long as you don't try to use more than one of each.

Norton generally gets good reviews because the companies that give good reviews also have Norton as a advertising customer.

I avoid Norton like the plague. Resource hungry beast that it is.

On the topic of firewalls, if my modem/router is listed as having:
"Firewall: Stateful packet inspection (SPI), intrusion logging and reporting, denial-of-service (DoS) protection"

Would you recommend i use something like Comodo or is it not that necessary?

Do I actually need a firewall? Can I run a stand alone antivirus by one company and a stand alone firewall from another at the same time? I have Windows Vista Ultimate.

I find that firewalls seem to do a good job of just getting in the way

Norton generally gets good reviews because the companies that give good reviews also have Norton as a advertising customer.

I avoid Norton like the plague. Resource hungry beast that it is.

They are getting better at this. The 2007 to 2009 version has been left resourse hungry.
However the problem is that most of the viruses these days seem to be wrtten so they can get around Norton Products.

I find that firewalls seem to do a good job of just getting in the way

They are getting better at this. The 2007 to 2009 version has been left resourse hungry.
However the problem is that most of the viruses these days seem to be wrtten so they can get around Norton Products.

which kinda makes it useless.. hmm maybe it's Norton's competition writing the viruses..

Competition <--- "See Norton sucks buy from us"

I wouldn't use Norton. That opinion. It has messed up on every computer You have to pay for it. It is very hard to remove. It takes a lot of space. Norton takes lots of resources. I mean a lot. Every computer I worked on that had norton had lots of problems. If you are looking for a great software avg is great. It is even free. It only takes very little resources. It is very easy to use. It don't have all them tool bars and it isn't a big file. Norton even has spyware and open holes so people can get into your computer. So I would use avg. That is my opion on the facts I know.

Norton Internet Security 2009 is a great product. It's very easy on resources and far less intrusive than any of the free products I've tried. Previous Norton products were awful, and as a result, many people dismiss the current products which are drastically different.

I run it on all my systems, and would definitely recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom