Norton Antivirus 2009 or Norton Internet Security Suite 2009?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zabak80

Baseband Member
Need a new antivirus/security suite soon and see BB has the NAV 2009 for $20, or I could get the full NIS 2009 for $10 at a different site, but with $50 of rebates plus shipping.

Is the NIS 2009 worth it? I am very computer literate and know the difference between phising scams, website that you shouldn't download from, etc.

I hate nothing more than screwing around with rebates, but I will if the value is really there.

Anyone have experience with both of these?

Neither is worth the $$$$$$$$. If you want to buy something go with AVG, NOD32, etc.

AVG also has a free version but whatever you do, don't buy Norton, others will agree

Norton 2009 is doing pretty well both in performance and security.

I've tested most of the free trials already and Norton IS 2009 is performing the best.

I'm sticking with Norton and was looking to see if anyone had experiences with both NAV and NIS 2009 and if the extras were worth it.

Thank you for your advice, but I am not trying to debate the merits of Norton's new virus protection software. Have you even tried it yet?

I'm just asking if anyone has been able to compare the two out in the wild yet and if the NIS is worth the extra cash.

Sorry but nobody on any real tech site will have used or have any input on Norton. We all known better not to use it as it takes up more resources and doesnt catch half of what others out there do for free.

If you are looking for feedback on Norton you will have to go to CNet where Norton is a sponsor or to Norton's site. No hard core tech site will give you any answer other than what Osiris already has.

Wow, talk about a superiority complex. "Real tech site" , "hard core tech site" , you're starting to sound more like a Mountain Dew commercial than someone who is willing to help people. This is the intranets to da EXTREME dude, EXTREME!

I didn't come here to debate, or be insulted. I just asked if anyone actually has used the 2009 versions. And by the looks of it, you guys haven't even TRIED it yet.

I think you two would be impressed if you actually tried it. I've used AVG, Kaspersky, and on and on in the past. They're great. But I was really impressed by Norton's 2009 offerings.

I figured that since I read the board regularly, as a non-hardcore to the Xtreme techie who overdosed on Red Bull, and I liked Norton NIS, if anyone else had an opportunity to compare the two and what they thought of it.

Jesus, next time I have a question about a popular commercially available product that has sold millions of units to millions of consumers over the years, I won't bother.

Thanks anyways.

Well some one wont take good advice, It's not like Osiris isnt recognised as out AV expert for nothing, it's not like Mak213 isnt a well known guru on nearly everything in windows and has experiance in some of the more difficult virus removals.

I myself up untill recently was a OEM and a IT consultant and I never ever ever recomended norton it's like having a lock on your front door but leaving the door open when you use norton.

Honestly if you want to be safe online use AVG an Zone Alarm, norton isnt worth a crap.

I just asked if anyone else has tried and compared Norton's new 2009 series. I didn't ask for alternatives to Norton.

If I wanted another AV besides Norton, I would have asked "What is the best AV besides Norton" or "What is an alternative to Norton?"

Thank you for the help and advice, but maybe a mod should close and delete the thread. I don't want to argue with everyone about what is the best AV, just looking for a specific experience with a specific AV.

I will download NIS 2009 and take a look at it for you and then give you my input. I will give you my advise after I run some tests of its virus/spyware/malware removal on it's own virtual machine and post the results once again. I did this once before but can't find the thread but it wasnt with NIS 2009 so I'll do it again. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom