New Laptop, how do I copy everything from HDD to SDD?

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi everyone!

Ok, just found a killer deal on an i5 laptop after waiting patiently for over a year.

Here's the laptop:

ASUS K55A-BI5093B Laptop Computer - 3rd generation Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, DVDRW, 15.6" Display, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I would like to remove the 500gb HHD and install an Intel Cherryville 180 gb SSD.

Is there a way to copy everything off of the new HDD and make it work on the Intel Cherryville 180 gb SSD?

Or, is there a better way to do this?

I was thinking maybe I could somehow install the SSD and then somehow clean install the Windows 7, then download and install all the drivers.

Who knows, maybe this would also remove lots of bloatware!

Not sure how to proceed...

How would you do it?

Looking for help again!

Soar

Last edited:
Clean install is always best.

However, you can clone over to the SSD. I would recommend CloneZilla.

I've done it for a friend over to his SSD and it worked fine. The procedure I use(d) was:
Resize partition(s) to fit onto SSD with GParted > Boot Clonezilla > create an image of the original drive and save it onto an external drive > Format the SSD > deploy the image from the external HDD onto the SSD > boot into Windows from SSD.

Since you're on Win7... I would recommend running chkdsk with the /b flag to clear any possible bad sector flags from the previous HDD, after you complete the image. Do this by running cmd as admin and type in the following:
chkdsk c: /f /b

Keep the original drive for a while until you make sure everything is working fine; and then you can format it if you like (you already have a backup image of it with CloneZilla if you do it the way I suggested).

Carnage,

Ok, thank you for your very, very clear instructions. I will receive the laptop this Friday and do my very best to follow your instructions.

I suppose if worst comes to worst, I can always call ASUS for install discs just in case I really mess things up.

To be honest with you, I like the idea of a clean install. Just not sure of the risks that includes. I suppose my greatest concern would be to lose an important driver or something like that.

Oh, I apologize for posting two subjects on one topic. Please accept my apologies.

But how do I remove the HDD and install the SSD? That is the question I posted in the laptop section.

Soar

Last edited:
Not much of a risk involved when doing a clean install; only "risk" I could see is making sure you have all of your personal data backed up. As far as the drivers go.. Just download all the drivers from Asus's website BEFORE doing a clean install, and put them on a flash drive. This way, you just have to copy over the files, and install all of the drivers without having to try to get internet connected first (and sometimes you need the wifi / NIC drivers before you can get on the internet anyway, if Windows doesn't automatically detect what drivers to use).

For the swapping out the HDD/SSD question... Depends on the laptop. Some there's a single panel for the HDD on the bottom of the laptop, just unscrew it, and the HDD slides out. Then put the SSD in it's place. Usually you have to take a bracket off of the other original HDD and put it on the SSD as well, but it should fit. Usually, the drive panel is marked by a cylinder icon engraved into the plastic where the HDD is.

On a new computer I wouldn't mess around with a clean install, just "clone" the contents of the HDD to the SSD.

One caveat when cloning to the SSD is that you need to make sure your partition is aligned properly on the SSD or performance will suffer. Here's a link on how to check the alignment and how to correct the alignment if needed: Speed Up Your SSD By Correctly Aligning Your Partitions

Not much of a risk involved when doing a clean install; only "risk" I could see is making sure you have all of your personal data backed up. As far as the drivers go.. Just download all the drivers from Asus's website BEFORE doing a clean install, and put them on a flash drive. This way, you just have to copy over the files, and install all of the drivers without having to try to get internet connected first (and sometimes you need the wifi / NIC drivers before you can get on the internet anyway, if Windows doesn't automatically detect what drivers to use).

For the swapping out the HDD/SSD question... Depends on the laptop. Some there's a single panel for the HDD on the bottom of the laptop, just unscrew it, and the HDD slides out. Then put the SSD in it's place. Usually you have to take a bracket off of the other original HDD and put it on the SSD as well, but it should fit. Usually, the drive panel is marked by a cylinder icon engraved into the plastic where the HDD is.

I like the idea of a clean install because of the removal of bloatware. Ok, thanks for the info on how to remove the hdd and install the ssd. I will post pics and whether or not I was successful after I am done with it.

Soar

On a new computer I wouldn't mess around with a clean install, just "clone" the contents of the HDD to the SSD.

One caveat when cloning to the SSD is that you need to make sure your partition is aligned properly on the SSD or performance will suffer. Here's a link on how to check the alignment and how to correct the alignment if needed: Speed Up Your SSD By Correctly Aligning Your Partitions

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me why you would not recommend a clean install?

More of a hassle with the need to download all the drivers from the mfr website plus there may be programs that came on the system that won't be available from the mfr website. Many may be bloatware but there might just be a couple of gems. Removing unwanted bloatware is less of a hassle.

More of a hassle with the need to download all the drivers from the mfr website plus there may be programs that came on the system that won't be available from the mfr website. Many may be bloatware but there might just be a couple of gems. Removing unwanted bloatware is less of a hassle.

Strollin'

Ok, thank you for your insights.

You definitely bring up some very important points!

Soar

Carnage,

Ok, I received the laptop today and I would like to try the clone method you described first.

Can you give me a little bit more clear instructions on how to use Gparted to Resize partition(s) to fit onto SSD?

I have used Gparted for year, but only for the purpose of wiping drives clean and to making partions. How do I resize a partition? I think I remember seeing "shrink volume" before. Can you be a little more clear please?

Also, must I switch anything in the BIOS such as similarities with desktops that require ACHI instead of IDE before installing an SSD?

Thanks,

Soar

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom