Need Help with my Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkdrummer

Solid State Member
OK, first of all, thanks for taking the time to read this and possibly helping me out..

OK, so i have a Toshiba laptop with Windows 2000: Office Edition. Up until recently, it worked fine. Then, maybe like a month and a half ago, my computer's wallpaper was changed to a blue background with a black box with text. The big headline read, "SPYWARE INFECTION" and under it read something along the lines of "your computer is infected with spyware. windows strongly recommends you use a spyware removol tool to remove the program."

So i go to the control panel, add/remove programs to remove it. I see 'Spyware' as a program and try to remove it but, it doesn't let me because it says i need 'Earthlink Total Access' to proceed (which i dont believe i do..)

My computer worked fine with the so called 'spyware infection' except for me not being able to have my desired wallpaper.

So, one day i decided to do something about it. I download AOL secruity (sp?) Edition for broadband off of the AOL website because i knew they had a anti-spyware viuris scan. So i sign on, and immandtly, AOL suggests i block a program. I do and think nothing of it. AOL tells me to restart my computer for the new 'blocked program' to take effect.

So i do, and now the internet doesnt work, no AIM, IE, nothing. I know the ethernet (sp?) cable works becuase i use it to play Playstation 2 online, so its not the cable.

So, my question is, how do i get my computer working properlly again? (with or without the spyware infection gone, i just want internet) i have no idea why my computer doesnt work, i cant even open up limewire because it has 'no internet access'.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Thanks for taking the time to read this..

My sugestion is format your laptop and start over, and go Windows XP if your hardware will take it. And change your Anti spyware and Anti virus

Maybe you blocked access to the internet with AOL secruity.

As for the wallpaper SPYWARE INFECTION, just read through the "Normal maintenance" sticky to run some anti-spyware programs to check for problems.

Also post a Hijackthis log and I'm sure someone can help you out if they spot more problems on your laptop.

First of all, thank you for taking the time to read this and reply.. but,Im not 100% sure on how to do all of this. Can you give me like, step-by-step instructions on how to do this..?

Download these programs, install them and make sure to update them first. Then scan your computer for problems to fix.

Ad-Aware SE Personal
SpyBot-Search & Destroy
Avast! Home Edition

Run this program and save a log of it, before and after your scan.

HijackThis

As with AOL Security Edition, i think there was a firewall that was installed with it, when you mentioned, "AOL suggests i block a program. I do and think nothing of it."

It seems like you clicked the button to deny access for your internet to gain access past the firewall. Thus causing your internet not to work.

I personally don't have any experience with "AOL Security Edition" so I can't help you out on that part too much. But I'll try and help you out if you need it.

Thank you for that reply but..

I can't download those onto my laptop because i have no internet access on it..:p

Also, last night i tried dailing-up to AOL and i cant even sign on to aol. the first message said "blackICE is blocking your connectivity to AOL.." So i restart my computer, turn it off and i still cant connect. i just says "error while triing to connect."

Im thinking it could be my current internet connection setting. You know how you go to tool in the internet broswer..i accidently deleted my old one i had, (that worked) and i dont know what options to click to set up a new and correct one.

Can someone walk me though that and try to see if that works..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom