My PC has been lagging like hell ever since I got DSL...

Status
Not open for further replies.

superfly

Beta member
I desperately need help. I recently suscribed to DSL in the UAE and ever since the hardware got plugged in and my computer went online, it has been lagging like hell!

Even when I right-click on the desktop, it takes about 2-3 seconds before the action (the drop-down menu) happens. Now don't get me wrong, I mean, the internet speed has boosted bigtime (I now reach speeds of upto 60kbps when downloading), its just that all programs take a very long time to open, all my videos seem to lag, and so do all my games (even the 2D ones).

I have a P4 1.7 Ghz system (256 MBRam) with a windows XP operating system.

And one more thing, whenever I want to check for viruses on my PC, the virus program (I use Norton 2003) just shuts itself down. This doesn't happen to any other programs apart from anti-virus programs and DOS applications.

Please suggest me... and yes, I have tried online viurs removal techniques, and all they came up with is a virus located on C:\WINNT\explor\explor.exe

Thanks.

You just answered your own question, it's a virus that has attatched itself onto Explorer.exe.

By the way, I know your new, but please post in the right place...Site suggestions?

this section is called "Browser, Virus, Website Related Problems" so he is posting in the right place. superfly you probably are not using any software/ hardware firewalls right? that would explain how you got the virus/trojan/ worm. winXP is a target for many viri especially on broadband.

since you didn't tell us the name of the virus we cannot tell you how to remove it. you need to read the help on the website about how to do this. if it was me i would completely remove all viruses with AVG anti-virus free edition or norton's NAV2003/2004, re-install winXP, turn on winXP connection firewall, and do a full system scan again. or just use the removal tool for whatever virus you have.

I think this was moved from the Off Topic forum, so it's now in the right place.

I agree, Superfly, that you have answered your own question. If there is a resident virus, there are going to be problems. And many virii will stop the AV programs and take much of your system resources (especially when IE is opened).

Are you going to try what ek said? IMO, that would be good to do. Once you do that, you may want to look into some blockers, too.

Dave :D

I already said whats wrong...

Please read again: "whenever I want to check for viruses on my PC, the virus program (I use Norton 2003) just shuts itself down".
This happens a second or two after I put up the program. I even tried AVG, and during the installation, it just close by itself. Same thing with several other anti-virus programs. And if I do manage to install them, they just close in a second or two, naturally not giving me enough time to go through the process of scanning even the main system folders...

go to http://housecall.antivirus.com - do an online virus scan, it will tell you whats in your computer and will try to remove it. If it cannot remove the virus, write down the name and go to nortons site and download the removal tool. (assuming Housecall finds it :p )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom