my opinion on malware :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hampton

Yee Ol' Salt
Well Many years ago in the dark ages before broad band I used Norton and used to spend hours downloading game demo's and tied up my phone line to do that.

Then one day while surfing I got a huge whamy, this sucker just started eating the data off my drive and blue screened me.. I was not a happy guy considering all those hours of downloads just went down the toilet.

When I bought my Norton CD I was told that it would have updates for life, come to find out that was crap. So I went and bought an updated version of their home securty suite. and still from time to time would get infections. so I realised it was crap. then I found a few boards out there that were based on that stuff and found out there were other options.. web browser, adAware etc.. so I started to use like 10 different things to make sure my PC was safe.

Then a few years later more advanced AV engines came out so I started to test them as I was never going back to norton, when I found Panda I was sold it found stuff on CD's that I had burned all these other spyware programs on and found some of those were infact trojen horses them selves.

and also learned that the Main Stream (by that I mean bundled versions of AV) were just not up to par.

Real strong AV programs you won't find hacked on p2p nor will you find them bundled on any CD.

Of all the AV's I have tested over the years (if you want to test your AV program just type Warez into IE, lol) only Panda and AVG have been bullet proof, I am currently testing Comodo AV and firewall, not tested enough yet to try the warez test.

I am open to any suggestions and opinions on this because the more you learn the safer you and your PC will be.

Theres some programs in my guide you might find useful

Tech Dump? I left a comment under your AVG post hope that helps let me know if you have any questions.

and if your guide is somewhere else please point me to it :D

I don't have Office on this machine so I couldn't open up your doc

(on my back up machine right now as I just fried my cpu on my main machine a few days ago will have it running next week some time)

Well the free version was more problematic after 7.5 at least for me.
Not sure I would trust it with a network, the free version that is, not sure how much support you would get for trouble shooting.

But for you guys that like to dive in and do the dirty work thats all good

I'm a bit surprised you didn't build your own hard firewall, or have you?.. how large is your network?

I use AVG 8 on my servers at work, which is 23. It works great and no issues. If it were up to me I'd have it on all clients.

I use AVG 8 on my servers at work, which is 23. It works great and no issues. If it were up to me I'd have it on all clients.

Good deal, your CEO must love you.. save them truck loads of $$

Do you have a hard firewall? /heavy router

ahh yea those things unless you build your own.. lol they are almost as much as a Hummer, some even more.. so good thing you dont have to toy with that.

Forgive my lamens approach I've never had any formal classes on anything just picked things up here and there, so my Tech Savvy is a bit on the crass side ;)

do plan on hitting some classes in the spring tho.. tired of my dead end job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom